O T Electric overblankets.

We bought a couple of US overblankets and found that they were useless due to not being hot enough. It turns out that the wattage has been reduced in recent years to avoid overheating. Does anyone know if the UK versions are equally degraded? We/ve gone back to our Uk original which is a bit too small

Reply to
Capitol

Hmm, a bit too soon with the finger there! Hence the errors.

Reply to
Capitol

Surely the current blankets will be marked with their nominal operating power?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

wouldn't they have a higher than expected wattage anyway, presuming you're running them off UK mains?

Therefore the 'fault' would be in the temperature controller, not the wattage per se.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Reply to
Capitol

Run from 110V. It's not a temperature control fault, it;s a design feature!

Reply to
Capitol

They designed perhaps to have a blanket on top of them, to keep the heat in?

Reply to
GB

Since getting a better mattress and a decent (though not spectacularly over-priced) goose down duvet, warmth at night is no problem. OK - it can be cool for a few minutes when first jumping in but thereafter toasty warm.

Reply to
polygonum

Repeating the question, does anyone know if current UK blankets have been similarly degraded?

Reply to
Capitol

What you and your partner have is up to you.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Reply to
Bob Eager

OK I saw what you mean when looking at a dreamland one but this one

is specified at 120w

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The US products are not wattage labeled. The old Dreamland uk one is

180W per side. The new one appears to be 120/130W and designed to be used under a duvet and inside the cover. We don't use duvets as I find them too small and draughty round the edges. There does not appear to be a decent sized superking electric blanket on the UK market. That's why I bought the US ones which turned out to be only about 60W and useless.
Reply to
Capitol

So buy a bigger one then. The duvet should overhang the edges by at least a foot on each side, when the bed is unoccupied. Then when there's two of you in the bed there's plenty at each edge to seal it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

It sounds like they have a superking bed, so gettign a Duvet bigger than that may be difficult

Reply to
Chris French

I wish mine would dangle over the end by a foot, it's a choice between cold shoulders or cold tootsies.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or blankets!

Reply to
Capitol

Bigger duvets of the size you suggest are just as bad. If you both turn sideways, theere is nothing at the edge to seal it.

Reply to
Capitol

At 6'3", in the winter I have a second quilt over my feet ...

Reply to
Huge

And they are still draughty.

Reply to