Number of bedrooms with ensuites

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I reckon it needs one bath/shower, one shower, three toilets in that size house. Achievable with one ensuite, one bathroom, one downstairs bog.

But that's needs, rather than wants.

Having more will probably make the house more saleable, provided the size of the bedrooms doesn't suffer.

Also depends on how many people will actually be there permanently, and if lodgers or house sharing will ever come into it.

Reply to
Clive George

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can be useful though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Nightjar

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate loo ...

But what do I know?

Reply to
Andy Burns

My Dad is bored. It is 5 years since he retired. He wants to build another extension.

One bedroom will have to be made smaller to allow access to the new bedrooms. There will always have to be a compromise between bedroom size and ensuite size.

It will be two people living there, my parents.

My Dad wants a double story extension of roughly 6m by 10m.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Downstairs shower room can be useful if there's a potential for a downstairs room to be used as a bedroom for an Older Person.

2 baths and an extra toilet is a minimum. A WC/shower can be fitted into an incredibly small space and still be useful. If the ensuite is a bath and Wife or Daughter is luxuriating herself in there then an additional facility may be required for Mr.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Enough:-)

I asked for opinions. You are on my Dad's side.

Your suggestion is what he would end up with. Although he is also considering making the downstairs WC a shower room.

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there until they are too old to look after the place and property prices have risen and then sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Home cinema with bar at the back

employ a busty young tart to come round selling ice creams during the adverts

Reply to
geoff

An ensuite what? "ensuite" is an adjective meaning "within room". It's the new dangling apostrophe.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

2 separate bathrooms and no ensuites - waste of space and inflexible unless it's all bedrooms.

Don't suppose I've won a ratbab for saying that ;-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

Trying to outguess future buyers is fraught with problems. I invariably rebuild the kitchen when I move in to a new place, usually reconstruct the bathroom and I would find a walk-in wardrobe much more useful than an en-suite bathroom.

Unless he has a particular yen for an en-suite bathroom himself, why not simply build the extension with extra storage areas that could easily be converted to bathrooms or WCs, if future buyers want them?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 2011-06-03, Nightjar

Reply to
Huge

You are of course right(er). The trend is clear. I lost track of the number of former colleagues who went on about their new en suites, extensions to provide 2nd b/rs etc You could also point him at estate agents: eg

"The way people live in their homes has changed dramatically over the past 10-20 years as people's tastes in housing have changed. Free-flowing rooms, en-suite 'his and her' bathrooms and increasingly impressive technology are some of the new top list requirements. "

"Luxury bathrooms are now as equally high a requirement to bedrooms. Most buyers expect en-suites particularly with the larger rooms in a house. Old fashioned freestanding baths have been replaced with clean lines and stylish wet rooms. Fiddes notes that 'his and her' basins and even bathrooms are also becoming ever more popular. It is now not that unusual for bedrooms to be transformed into large spacious bathrooms to offer a more balanced level of accommodation. "

Reply to
Robin

Wet rooms suck. Another example of form over function.

We've had "his and hers" basins for over 20 years. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Reply to
Huge

Two en-suites for the master bedroom?

Let me guess ... "his" is a crapper and a shower with plasma TV ... "hers" is a bath with shower over, a crapper, a basin, a bidet, a sofa and a coffee table ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Exactly. I know of someone who put an en-suite in every room upstairs in an ordinary house, and the result is a rats nest of tiny rooms and doors every where. Looks ridiculous. Even most new detached houses, say, 4 bed with integral garage, have pretty small bedrooms to fit in the en-suites, and you have all these bathrooms almost next to each other. Its ridiculous. However, it may be what people want. Of course, a large spacious house is an entirely different matter. What comes to mind is those american houses in movies / tv (most actually sets built for filming !) that seem to have a decent sized bathroom for every bedroom (complete with

1930s square tiles and one of those hoop shower curtain things over the bath). This is so the kids can lead an existance separate from the parents, who are always somewhere else in the vast house, where their mates climb in though the window and have pizza delivered that way as well. Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in bed. Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question of a fashion statement over common sense!

Reply to
Andy Cap

You forgot the paper/magazine rack ..

and shelves to support the weight of 4000 different products. Why they can't do with soap and a toothbrush & paste escapes me.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

....if not one of those squat-toilet-with-shower-over jobbies to allow her room for the drinks cabinet ;)

Reply to
Robin