Nuisance calls near zero

Since I fitted a set of phones with the TruCall call filter system, the nuisance calls have almost come to an end. It has logged not a single call in over 7 days.

I don't really understand why - most of these callers just ring and play a recording anyway, so the callers would not even be aware their calls have been blocked. Which rather suggests that something has been done nationally to put a stop to these callers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Removing our landline stopped *all* nuisance calls.

Been over a year now - no adverse effects.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I too have a Trucall with zero cold calls put through and none on the answer phone but the logging suggests up to 10 dropped calls per week and this is confirmed by an old technology caller display box which also logs all calls (mainly withheld and International).

Reply to
alan_m

+1. Still plenty of calls getting logged by my truecall.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Doesn't the TrueCall announcement tell your callers to press some button if they wish to speak to you? Those automated calls wouldn't know to do that.

Reply to
pamela

Excellent. But it would also remove my internet access too. As it would with most of the population. Oh - my landline phone probably needs it too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1
Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, given OFCOMs recent pronouncements, it's not a given.

Anyway, you don't need to plug a phone into the landline :) (which is how we started).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

alan_m submitted this idea :

It is TrueCall system combined with the handsets, it logs every outbound call and every caller, whether answered or not. If a call comes through and the call is blocked, it puts it on the display as a number of calls blocked so I can review them. There were several per day when I first installed it (which was why I bought it) - that number had declined to the point where now we have had an entire 7 days with not a single call.

As the callers now mostly use an automated system playing recorded messages, it seemed odd that their systems should notice they are being told to go through an automated process at my end, to get through - and that this should deter them from ringing. At my end, it will ask them to state their name and press #. If they manage that, my phones ring, their name is played back and I then get the choice to take the call, ignore it, or pass it to the voicemail system. None of the nuisance callers ever got as far as making the phones ring or getting manually rejected.

Everyone who's number is in my phonebook, gets put straight through.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 06/10/2016, pamela supposed :

As mentioned earlier. Anyone who rings from a number not in the phonebook or hides their number, gets the chance to state their name then press #. If they manage to do that, my phones ring, the name they recorded is played back to me then I can accept the call, reject it, or send them to voicemail.

I have only had that happen twice since putting the system in, both were genuine callers trying to get through. The phone has not rung once with a nuisance caller trying to ring, but certainly they have rung - it logs their calls on the screen with a number if one was available.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You have choice, but yes _blocked_ calls can be answered with an alternative message asking the caller to state their name and then press hash. What you do with the call is up to you. You can set up a number of rings so that you answer the phone and you are given the callers name which you can then accept, reject or send to answer phone. Alternatively you can set, say, one ring and then automatically redirect to the answerphone. The answerphone has call monitoring and you can interrupt it for a live reply.

Reply to
alan_m

I have had a similar problem and mine turned out to be to do with names & numbers I had entered into Truecall for identification. I did not assign them to a Zap or Star list.

Seems there's a a bug which means that even though I don't need Zap or Star features for the way I use TrueCall, I could correct the problem by entering my tagged names on the Star list. Then those named callers could get through.

Reply to
pamela

who's is short for who is.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater wrote on 06/10/2016 :

I did of course know that, but thank you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

not one nuisance call in 4 years, no landline, voip setup by Vonage.

Reply to
misterroy

Actually you are unique. An examination of my True call logs sees people just hanging up when asked for their name. Some recordings do get through, but I understand some new version of true call software now asks the caller to say their name and press hash, which stops the caller using a pre recorded message.

I think the pre recorded ones are in the minority, most of the annoying ones are people pretending to do a survey to get around the tps list. Most just move on to the next mug cos they know I'm unaware of anyone calling and will zap them if they get through after saying their name. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't want to tempt fate, bjut it's been quiet with me for the last couple of weeks (I'm almost missing the sport). I put it down to anonymous call reject, and being careful about who gets my number(s).

I also put it down to being on some "do-not-call-this-number-he-is-a wind-up-merchant' list that is placed prominently on the wall of the Indian boiler-rooms and call-centres (a.k.a. 'Microsoft support').

Reply to
Allan

Interesting item on the radio yesterday about Vodafone introducing a new system to block nuisance calls. Apparently blocked 400,000 calls in one day. Maybe other phone companies are doing likewise?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not before time. I've got Vodafone PAYG and got a high percentage of 'spam' calls. Must admit it's been better recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It appears Vodaphone are blocking both ways. When they detect a scam with a return premium rate phone number they block customers from ringing it.

It would help if organisations such as the TPS took action against _UK_ companies who use unsolicited cold calls originating outside the UK to gain business rather than just washing their hands of the problem because its not a call made from the UK.

Reply to
alan_m