NTL remote

My neighbour has lost her remote control for the old NTL analogue service. NTL just want to upgrade her to digital, so would one of those all-in-one remotes work? Ideally I'd like keep it separate from the video/tv remotes as she's confused enough already. TIA

It may not actually, I bought one of the all in one remotes so that I could declutter the coffee table (er indoors believes that it should be used for such things as coffee! wierd eh!?). Unfortunately, it worked for everything except my cable remote (it was a digital one, but I guess the frequency isn't that different. I checked the internet and this was a known fault due to the frequency set by telewest. Have a look on eBay, you may find a replacement at a fraction of the cost. They have a fairly large remote control section. Alternatively, buy one and keep the receipt!
Cheers mike
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 10:21:18 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"

AFAIK you should be OK with all-in-ones for analogue cable boxes (if they claim to support them). Digital Cable boxes are a pain though as the use iRDA which the vast majority of all-in-ones (including my bloody Philips Pronto) can't cope with.

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:38:56 GMT, Chris

That's right, there is a fix though here: http://www.letsautomate.com/10923.cfm but its a bit expensive imo.
regards Tim

Mine gave up though being thrown at the tele too many times. (Well not really) But anyway I just called up NTL and they sent me a new one - free.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:38:56 GMT, Chris

You can control NTL/Telewest boxes with Pronto and other universal/learning remotes using the Red-Eye translator www.redremote.co.uk

the new digibox too. It is 5 way and controls everything we have. There is good web support for uncommon models. The only thing it can't do is some of the advanced functions of our Sony camcorder. It also has 4 handy programmable buttons that can hold a series of commonly used commands. On analogue we used it to bring up teletext at the "now and next" page. All4one are common and you cann get them at Argos etc.

one from NTL as Dave suggests.

Find someone who has upgraded to digital. When they take away the old analogue boxes, they usually forget to collect the old remotes. I had about 3 of them at one point.
On the other hand, why not just upgrade to digital? I can't imagine the analogue service will be around much longer.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote in message

BBC4 on analogue.

They upgraded me for free years ago. Wasn't even any extra on the monthly payments.
Christian.