Noo-cloo-arr.

Appologies if this is already common knowledge, and/or of no interest to mo= st, but I have heard that EDF are out of the UK nuclear scheme, along with = another firm (didn't quite catch who, sounded like Ucamm or something, but = no real idea) due to lack of profit available.

Apparently the contracts are going to Chinese firms to do the building. I w= as surprised by this, but was told this is not a bad thing as they will use= local experts and building contractors, and are using British designs for = the reactors (PWR?). I was told that the Chinese have very good expertise i= n the building of reactors - they have built more in China in 5 years than = Europe has in 30. ( Probably not much of a claim, really, seeing as E= uropean govts. seems to be full of emotion-driven technological illiterates= . What bites me is that it is apparent that the government STILL has no ide= a about getting native companies to do the work, and not to leak more money= , AND they still cannot grasp the vital importance of electrical supply to = national security. What a bunch of ill-educated tossers. )

Canadian firms were considered, but their nuclear industry is big enough...= for their market.

On a not-totally-unrelated point, I read on Tim Minchin's twitter feed (yea= h yeah, call me names...) the following in regards to the nonsense hoo-har = over comedian Jimmy Carr's tax affairs:

"Should add: hating the incumbent govt's use of your tax doesn't excuse avo= idance. Vote them out. You live in a social democracy."

How cute!

Cheers.

Reply to
pastedavid

On 25/06/2012 12:22 p.m., snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

It's not noo-cloo-arr, it's noo-kyoo-lar.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

but I have heard that EDF are out of the UK nuclear scheme, along with another firm (didn't quite catch who, sounded like Ucamm or something, but no real idea) due to lack of profit available.

newshound

got the firms wrong it's the E.ON and RWE that pulled out:

Dave Liquorice

but I have heard that EDF are out of the UK nuclear scheme, along with another firm (didn't quite catch who, sounded like Ucamm or something, but no real idea) due to lack of profit available.

No, EDF are still 'in' using a French reactor supplier, civil engineering from a UK company.

There are no Chinese 'engineering' skills although they might buy the bonds used for the finance.

Reply to
The Other Mike

most, but I have heard that EDF are out of the UK nuclear scheme, along with another firm (didn't quite catch who, sounded like Ucamm or something, but no real idea) due to lack of profit available.

Not true at all. The Chinese have wisely built on western technology, but are now making their own pressure vessels for 1000 MW plant

newshound

most, but I have heard that EDF are out of the UK nuclear scheme, along with another firm (didn't quite catch who, sounded like Ucamm or something, but no real idea) due to lack of profit available.

usually by foul) but for the future UK market via EDF there is NO Chinese engineering involvement.

Reply to
The Other Mike