Nokia chargers

Hi all many of you will know the cheap & cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving, useful for garage storage etc.

IIRC Ikea changed the design of this some years ago - the newer stuff is significantly lighter weight than the original, with smaller screws etc.

What I'm not sure about is if the older stuff had the same name (Gorm), or a different one. I'd like to find some old stuff to match what I currently have, and am not sure if I need to search for a dffereent term.

Thanks for any pointers

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini adapters. Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is there an adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the new phones?

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've had one that went the other way. Special offer at PC World a while ago.

The problem with old Nokia adaptors is that they use 3.7 or 5.7 volts, and the phones are reasonably picky about what they accept. The miniUSB seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most phones the last couple ofyears.

Reply to
John Williamson

as per EU edict

tim

Reply to
tim....

That'll be because it's become a standard!

Skipweasel

I think old phone chargers can be used to run LED lights, but i'm not an expert on this. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I've just found one, made by Nokia. CA-146C - it's compatible with AC4, AC5, DC9, ACP12/AC10, etc, and accepts both the 2.0mm and 3.5mm chargers.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The old stuff was Sten. Definitely much better than the value-engineered replacement.

Good hunting ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Odd. I bought some of this in 1980 or so (i.e., 30-odd years ago) to set up as shelving for a theatre group in Geneva. More recently (2005) I bought a load for home use. My recollection is that it was just the same

- or has it changed since 2005?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes it has. I can't give you an actual date, but Sten was discontinued, and Gorm appeared in its place with, as TNT wrote, smaller section timber and smaller bolts. They no longer advertise the massive loading capacity they used to have.

Presumably, they reasoned that if most customers were using it for books rather than engine blocks, they could save money.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think that was roughly when Ikea replaced Sten with the inferior stuff (which still cost the same). We moved house 2005/06 and couldn't get any more of it for the new, larger, shed+attic, so I had to cut up some cheap rubbish modular shelving I had lying around (DoItAll IIRC) to fit the space.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

In article , The Night Tripper writes

In case it helps, the Gorm style shelves are the simplest to diy from odds & ends of timber. I have done some beefier ones using 95x18 verticals, 50mm sq front to back shelf supports and solid 18mm sheathing ply or osb decks (depending which is cheapest at the time). Coachscrews from Toolstation.

Btw, were you aware that you hijacked the Nokia chargers thread when writing your o/p?

Reply to
fred

Only because China did what the EU *could* have done years ago, and made it law. Clearly any talk of natural resources is complete guff, if simple tasks like mandating charger design to prevent every phone needing it's own charger aren't addressed.

Reply to
Jethro

What does this have to do with Nokia Chargers? Why did you reply to that question with a question about Ikea?

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

OK ... ... the stuff I have uses bolts needing a 10mm open or hex spanner. What does that make it? I certainly purchased it late 2004 / early 2005.

Drat, I'll have to continue keeping them in the bath.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The phrase "natural resources" and/or *_any_* talk of being "green" or "eco-friendly" should never be used with reference to the mobile phone industry anyway. I can't think of any other industry that's quite as wasteful as them when they automatically give everyone a brand new phone just on renewal of contract. What's wrong with their old phone? They've only had it 12 or 18 months FFS!!

I think I remember reading somewhere that there's over 90 MILLION mobile phones in the UK. There should be a law that makes everyone use their existing phone until it's beyond economic repair then they can have a new one. Personally, I believe that all this global warming, green eco-bollocks stuff is crap and that the planet is just going through natural thermal cycling, but even I can see that so many resources going into needless mobile phones is plain wrong.

Rant over :-)

Reply to
Manticore

Only because China did what the EU *could* have done years ago, and made it law. Clearly any talk of natural resources is complete guff, if simple tasks like mandating charger design to prevent every phone needing it's own charger aren't addressed.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with China!

tim

Reply to
tim....

It sounds like you have good old Sten.

The easiest way to differentiate is the shelf construction. Sten longitudinal shelf timbers sit on top of the square section crosspiece to which they are nailed. Gorm crosspieces are rebated, with the longitudes sitting flush.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

well, it's mysterious that the mobile manufacturers continued for YEARS creating all sorts of incompatible chargers and connectors (despite continued public pressure to standardise), and yet as soon as the Chinese government passed a law mandating a standard, the mobile manufactuers "discover" the same standard for the rest of the world.

You're Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Ericsson etc. You have to supply a standard connector for the Chinese market, which you know will become the biggest in the world. Do you

1) make separately specc'd models 2) make a standard, standard model ?
Reply to
Jethro

well, it's mysterious that the mobile manufacturers continued for YEARS creating all sorts of incompatible chargers and connectors (despite continued public pressure to standardise), and yet as soon as the Chinese government passed a law mandating a standard, the mobile manufactuers "discover" the same standard for the rest of the world.

You're Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Ericsson etc. You have to supply a standard connector for the Chinese market, which you know will become the biggest in the world. Do you

1) make separately specc'd models 2) make a standard, standard model ?

The EU announced its plan to mandate a standard charger at least 3 years ago.

tim

Reply to
tim....