No Indicator of Which is Cold and Hot Taps

Page 1 of 2
Hi
When we moved into our house we found that (for some reason best known to themselves) the vendor had removed the (ceramic ?) part of the bathroom taps that say "Hot" and "Cold". The taps are "edwardian" in style. I'd like to get hold of replacements. Can anyone guide me as to what these parts are called (indexes springs to mind..) and where I might get hold of some ?
Thanks
Paul

Nick 'em from the display models on show at your local DIY shed?
--
A. Top posters.
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I like that idea :-)
not completely on-thread (like most of my posts), but maybe a laugh for you all ;)
I went to stay in a four-star (it was when it was built) hotel in the Thrace region of Turkey.
As I was grubby after a hard days work, I was pleased to see that hot water was available for a bath - in fact too hot to touch...
So I opened the cold tap, lo and behold, that was running scaldingly hot as well...
Had to leave the full bath about an hour to cool down before I could get in!!!
On 22 Nov 2003 03:44:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (phigham) wrote:

Or " Indices" even :-) Stuart
(phigham) wrote:

In the UK hot should always be on the left.
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Not necessarily
I put the cold tap on the left in the bathroom sink, I'm right handed and if I'm e.g. holding my toothbrush, I can control the water with my left hand (which is actually completely untrue, but the best reason I can come up with offhand)
--
geoff

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:36:25 +0000, geoff wrote:

That's a 'should' not an 'is'.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Yes, the bathroom hot taps are on the right (and on the left in the kitchen). When the house was refurbed by the previous owner, they moved in mysterious ways...like putting the mains cold feed to the the bathroom sink and nicking the tap indeces (that's the word I was searching for). Now, where can I get these ?
Paul
(phigham) wrote

Hmm,
The one i've just plumbed is on the left, but more by good luck than good judgement ;-)
Where did this convention originate ?
P.
On 24 Nov 2003 08:22:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com (Zymurgy) wrote:

Probably with the Romans who had plumbing long before Sir Twyford Adamant and Lord Vitreous of China were on the scene.
The theory was, like driving on the left, that the right hand would always be available for the sword.
In the case of bathroom plumbing, my theory is that since the majority of the population are right handed, they will grab first for the right hand tap if they are not paying attention. With the hot on the left, they will not scald themselves.
If you believe that, you'll believe anything :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

But my argument was better if you're holding something in your right hand, it leaves the left free to turn on the cold tap
--
geoff

Hmmmm.... Maybe that's what the Romans were doing, and it was that that led to their demise.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

geoff

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:32:58 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

were only cold taps they were on the right for the reason you stated so the hot went on the left when H&C became the standard.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (phigham) wrote in message

What's mysterious about that?

You don't like having drinking water from the tap when brushing your teeth then? You prefer water from a grotty tank with dead rats floating within?
All my taps are direct from the mains, unstored and drinkable, even the hot taps.
Christian.

I thought that the regs said that any tap from which you might drink had to be fed directly from the mains
--
geoff

Good point about the rats...
Perhaps I should have added
"....whilst feeding the kitchen cold tap from the tank..."
On 8 Dec 2003 02:54:17 -0800, phigham wrote:

I wish I'd taken some pics of the main tanks here before I cleaned them out and fitted proper covers. Moderately random collection of drowned wood lice, beetles, centipedes and one mouse combined with a good layer of brick dust/mortar etc.
We have never had any problems that could even be remotely linked to "poor water".

And when there is a major mains failure and your water is off for maybe 24hrs? How do you make a cup of tea or, prehaps more important, flush the loo. Using bottle water for that seems a tad excessive, always assuming the local supermarket had any left, 'cause every one else will have been rushing out to buy whatever water they can...
Ours was scheduled to be off for 6hrs last month as they messed about with the main. In the end it was nearer 24hrs we used about half of our stored supply. We didn't use the w/mc and the kids shared their bath water but other than that we didn't control our water useage.
I would not be happy living in a place without stored water.

I wouldn't worry that much about it. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail