New window board in cavity wall

So I installed the new window in a cavity wall, and closed the sides of the cavity with bits of brick and mortar, interposing DPC behind the outer skin, and have now drylined the top and sides with plasterboard - so far so good.

I've cut a window board to size, but am unclear how to fit it. Does it just sit on the bare bricks of the inner and outer leaves of the wall, glued with nomorenails? I'm thinking maybe more DPC should be involved here, but will it all stick and hold together if I sit the board on DPC?

Advice much appreciated.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Traditionally, window boards were just stuck to the bricks/blocks - so there's no reason why you can't do this.

When my extension was built, 4 years ago, that was dry lined - and the builder also put plasterboard horizontally at the bottoms of the window apertures, and sat the window boards on the plasterboard. You could also do that if you prefer it to putting the board straight onto the brickwork, and provided you've got room to do it without bringing the window board too high up the window frame.

Reply to
Roger Mills

=============================== The brickwork is notched (about 1/2" is enough) on each side and the board slides in. Finish with plaster underneath but a better modern finish can be achieved with expanding foam before plastering. The foam will both hold it firmly and give a solid feel to the board but use the foam sparingly.

If you're likely to put flower vases etc. on the board consider tiling for an unusual effect.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

steps 1 to 5 under Fitting the New Window.

Reply to
DIY

So how, exactly, does that answer the OP's question?

Where does it say anything about fitting a window board - i.e. the wooden (or maybe plastic) window cill on the *inside*?

Reply to
Roger Mills

...and God help us, that's the website of BBC's "The Armstrongs" isn't it!

Sounds like I can just go ahead and glue my board in... I was just worried about it getting damp from the outer leaf (why is DPC needed down the sides of the reveal but not the bottom?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I agree, use expanding foam, but have a few concrete blocks at hand and a legth of 6 X 1 or similar....foam up the brickwork, sparingly, apply the window board and place the 6 X 1 along it's length, then place the concrete blocks on the board, this will hold it flat while the foam cures and the timber will prevent the blocks scratching the window board.

Reply to
Phil L

Thats a good way. I've also used car body filler..or screwed through onto the bricks and DPM if installed)

Your choice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher