New way to skim your card.

So that's why they do that... Always sort of wondered why they did it, now I know. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isn't the sequence:

Card in (machine out back in) Enter Pin Select service/ask for cash Card out Take card Dispense cash Take cash Print slip (I always as for one) Take slip

The cash doesn't get dispensed until the card has been taken. If the card isn't taken within a given time period the machine takes it back in and holds on to it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And there's probably someone somewhere developing a ratchet spring clip that only engages on every alternate insertion.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

the trick is to use at least two fingers and preferably both hands on the buttons like a touch typist, then they can't see what number button you're pressing.

rusty

Reply to
John

A couple of dichroic(1) mirrors and an IR camera would probably help to see you press the buttons.

1: Coated glass with quarter wave coatings so they reflect some wavelengths but not others. they would just look like flat panels stuck to the metal.
Reply to
dennis

I always cover the key pad with left hand while keying with right, so no chance of pin being videod.

Only time I had my card cloned was leaving car park at LHR, you enter card, no need for pin.

Same day used for booking flight to India and retailing at LHR .... CC company called me and cancelled all payments. They were on the ball and very helpful.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Our local bank closed many years ago, but the cash machine was left in place and in use. The front has been damaged for at least three years, with the area around the slot being damaged - a label with contact details is missing from below the slot, exposing a second "slot" with a few cards jammed in (where people have used the wrong slot) and a circuit board at an angle with a few resistors on! The screen is at an angle and one side lines up with the buttons one row out. If they ever fix it, everyone will probably assume it is a false front for skimming!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

On the fake add on slots that have been shown on TV programmes the camera is fitted to the same fake slot mechanism so looking up is unlikely to find it. Even if you look up the lens aperture is likely to be a pin hole and not something you would immediately identify as lens.

Reply to
alan