New garage roof with different roofline - permission needed?

Hi,

Have a concrete sectional garage with shallow ridged roof, made from corrugated asbestos cement.

The front of it is ~1.5m behind the back of the house. The garage is set back about 4 car lengths from the road.

I would like to replace the asbestos roof with one that doesn't leak and generally make the place a bit for homely for the freezer we intend to put in there.

So the plan is to remove existing roof and timber and replace with new corrugated plastic over new timber work.

What scope is there for me to make the roof a little higher with a steeper pitch? Some other garages along the road (on properties built at a different time) have higher roofs with steeper pitch. The point of this would be to create a space in which I can store our volumous roof box which we bought after our car shrank, following the birth of our daughter.

I'm wondering if I need any kind of approval for this work be it building regs or planning?

any comments gratefully received.

-- Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

It'll be fine as long as the apex is 4m high or less. What sort of "corrugated plastic" are you thinking of? I wouldn't use Onduline, 'cos IMO it's rubbish (although you can improve things by using it over Sterling board). Why not corrugated iron?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry for hijacking your post, but It sounds if I have the same asbestos roof as you. For future reference how are planning on getting rid of it.

Jon

Reply to
jon

You may or may not require planning permission. It depends on your circumstances, but you could well be lucky with this one.

Corrugated plastic is horrible, noisy, cracks easily and looks tacky, especially after a few years of UV. I'd use almost anything in preference. Perhaps board over with WBP ply and some good quality roofing felt.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Get in touch with your local "Tidy Tip", or the council, or use Google, and find out which tip accepts this stuff (they will have an "enclosed" skip). Take the stuff there on a trailer, and dump it. Call the tidy tip first to check they've got room in the skip for it, it's normally emptied once a week or so.

To get the sheets off, get some bolt cutters, and snip the nuts in half, across the flats, so that they fall off the bolts. 18" cutters are OK.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

And take all the usual precautions. Don't go round cutting it up with a circular saw!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi

From what I can recall (just got permission for something similar) if all of the garage is more than 1m from any boundary and as stated less than 4m high you should be OK. Or make a quick sketch of you property pop down to council they will get your house up on PC and tell you there and then if you need planning and or Building regs.

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
T Gent

If the garage is within 5m of the house (not sure from your post if the 1.5m behind is just the distance behind and it's also some distance off to one side too) and it's more than 10m3 in volume (it'd have to be a rather small garage if it isn't !) then it counts as an extension to the house so changing the roofline does, in theory, require planning permission, (unless the garage is small enough to be included in the allowed increase, see here :

it's not within 5 meters then, as another poster said, as long as the roof isn't over 4 metres high , you're OK.

If it's got an internal floor area of less than 30m3 then it doesn't need to comply with building regs.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

The "1m from the boundary" bit is only relevant if the garage is not built substantially from non-combustible material. Since this one's concrete, the OP shouldn't need to worry about distance from the boundary wrt building regs,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Obviously that should be 30m2, damn fingers :-)

Also this :-

the relevant planning legislation, Class E is what covers garages, sheds, etc.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton