new electricity supply

A friend is building a new house in his garden. The garage is about 20 metres from the new house and there is a underground duct between them. The local electricity board have terminated the supply with their meter in the garage. The ccu will be in the house so does this mean a hefty two core cable to take the supply from garage to ccu, I say hefty as meter tails are 16mm these days I understand. His existing house has overhead supply with TT earth, the new supply comes from a pole over the road,underground to the garage so assume he will also have a TT earth for the new house.Any suggestions about the garage to house cable?

Is the old house staying up, or is it being demolished ?
You would probably be better applying for a new supply to the new house, but it will cost you... You should get away with the VAT component though because its a new build.
Unless you get a seperate supply, you will more than likely have problems getting the existing supply split and metered seperately (there will only be one MPAN for the existing supply, and they shouldn`t normally put a meter at the end of someone elses` submain)
The old house says as is with its' existing supply. The NEW supply terminates at the meter in the new garage which is about 20 metres from the new house,they have put in an underground duct between new house and new garage. My question was about the cable from the meter to the ccu, what to use as meter tails normally are about 1 metre long 16mm cable. Also should the new house have a TT earth? Thanks MarkOn Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:30:16 -0000, Colin Wilson

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

AFAIK thats much too far for meter tails.... The CU should be within a couple of metres of the meter.

I think you will find that all new installs must be 25mm tails.
Dave

I think that`s only under the customers' side of the installation which would be covered by the 16th Edition - the supply regs are less strict and 16mm is still permissable afaik

The meter tails ARE on the customer's side, and must be supplied by the customer.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

16mm drops feeding 25 mm tails

Where do you want the CU to be ? If you want it in the house, i`d imagine you`d need a fused isolator and a large enough sub-main to take the supply from the garage to the house.

That would probably be entirely dependant on the network in the area. If its pole-fed, then unless the line has been refurbished, I think it would have to be TT.
Earthing is a bit of a weak point where i`m concerned though :-}
Thanks for all the comments and the 16 verus 25 mm comments. Think the answer is to get the electricity supplier to bring their cutout/meter into the house then feed back to the garage with a swa or similar. Mark