New Dishwasher Plumbing

I've just had someone plumb in my new dishwasher (I know, should've done it myself) and the waste outlet pipe that you put the hose into has been connected straight into the waste pipe without a trap...is that OK?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Not 100% sure I understand. You usually connect it to either a separate waste pipe with a trap or directly to a special outlet on the sink waste trap. Can you describe in more detail?

Reply to
Flummoxed

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:50:19 +0100 someone who may be "RedOnRed" wrote this:-

So far so good.

Presumably you mean the standpipe that the dishwasher outlet hose is put into. Is this standpipe connected, without a trap, to a waste pipe that is connected to a single-pipe drainage system? Is this standpipe connected, without a trap, to a waste pipe that goes to a gully (open or back-inlet) that is part of a two-pipe drainage system? Is there a running trap in the waste pipe somewhere?

Reply to
David Hansen

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough...

...the "plumber" cut a section out of the waste pipe for the sink which ran horizontally to the wall and fitted a sort of T piece into it. From the T piece he then put a long piece of pipe (about 10") running vertical for the dishwasher waste pipe to go into. He said if I put sealant around the dishwasher hose then it would be OK.

My concern was that the waste pipe is sort of open vented with no trap and odours could come through from the soil stack.

I've got him to return and he's since replaced his 10" pipe with a thing which allows the dishwasher waste hose to be forced on to it with a jubilee clip to retain it.

Does the job now sound like a goodun?

Reply to
RedOnRed

I believe that there should be a u bend/water trap between the outlet pipe and the drain, otherwise odours from the drain could seep back into your dishwasher.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

You mean something a bit like this?

believe those are designed to go straight into a horizontal waste pipe without needing a trap.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Yes mate, not too dissimilar to that, although not identical.

I'm now wondering if it's really possible for soil stack odours to feed into the appliance through the joint without a trap? Obviously I don't want my clean dishes to come out smelling of shit. That might just be enough to ruin a dinner party.

Where the appliance is to be sited, there is a single waste pipe against the wall coming from the sink. It's there that he's fitted a compression T piece and just added one of these fittings without a trap straight onto it.

Reply to
RedOnRed

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:32:48 +0100 someone who may be "RedOnRed" wrote this:-

Presumably the waste pipe from the sink connects directly to the soil stack? If it does then it is a single-pipe drainage system and the "plumber" is certainly not a plumber, unless there is a running trap between the T piece and the soil stack.

If, on the other hand, the waste pipe from the sink goes through the outside wall and into a hopperhead or gully then it is a two-pipe drainage system and slightly different considerations apply. You need to tell us which you have.

Someone else has outlined the sort of fitting that allows such a connection to be made. Do you have something like that? If you do it is a reasonable job, provided that the fitting is cleaned every once in a while.

Reply to
David Hansen

I would say that is not a good way to do it. It will allow drain smells into the room.

That may fix the smell problem, but could cause difficulties for the dishwasher as it may syphon water out of it when not required. It may also cause the sink trap to glug.

Not convinced myself... personally I prefer the stand pipe itself to have a U bend trap at the base of it before it connects to the tee into the waste pipe.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:41:52 +0100 someone who may be "RedOnRed" wrote this:-

"Drain air" was something the Victorians fulminated against, believing it caused just about every problem in society. As a result they designed drains to keep the air in as much as possible, with the result that they smelt.

Modern drainage systems have no interceptor traps at every property. As a result air flows throughout the drainage system and thus the air is generally not smelly. However, that does not mean that traps are unnecessary, for a number of reasons.

The sort of fitting you have has a non-return valve that will keep any drain smell out of the dishwasher, provided it is maintained.

Reply to
David Hansen

I have to say that i'd prefer a trap to be fitted too. I can't understand his reluctance to fit one. He did actually state that I couldn't fit one in this situation. Can't say i'm convinced. I might pop down to PTS and get the bits myself.

I certainly wouldn't have him back for the following...

  1. First thing he did was the floor tiles and then carried on working over them getting grit in the fresh grouting he'd done. To make good the grout I think he's used decorators caulk. He also wasn't tiling up to the wall edge and was going to leave a large 5" gap which he justified due to "it's only a base for a dishwasher".

  1. Had to ask him not to use his industrial circular tile cutter in our kitchen...the dust was alarming and has left everything covered.

  2. He cut down the existing kitchen plinth and ballsed that up but returned with some wood filler.

On every visit he went round the house tut tutting at other work done and saying how he'd do a superior job and then went on to do the shoddiest cowboy job imagineable.

Reply to
RedOnRed