Nasty...

Obvious nasty shit from a russian source, but how did they know I had just placed an order with amazon?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you know the site you placed an order with wasn't a screen scrape of Amazon hosted by Russian?

Poisoned DNS cache maybe?

Reply to
pamela

Are you sure it was Amazon? Or at least the real dealer? There was an article on local TV today about a guy who ordered an expensive camera from an "Amazon" dealer's page. That dealer's page had been highjacked, and the guy lost £600 (later refunded by Amazon) as the fake dealer insisted on payment by BACS.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Pretty sure it was.

Could be coincidence. Lots of people buying stuff on Amazon at this time of year..

..OH! I just checked. It wasn't addressed to the email address that is registered with amazon, so just random spam...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Every time I call BT broadband support ... I get within 48 Hrs a spam call form an Indian Call centre telling me I have a fault and they need urgently to connect to my computer.

BT staff must be passing on details .... happened so often ... I raised a complaint to BT .... they gave me set of 4 call-guard wireless handsets and a digital answer machine for free.

Since putting these in benefit is all nuisance calls have dropped to zero.

Reply to
rick

Well Paypal did not send me a bogus email today, it was bogus cos it contained my email address as my name. Paypal always use my specified name which may or may not be what I use here. I did use Paypal, but it was for a donation not a purchase. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They didn't. I also get spam forged as if from various major vendors, banks and worst of all couriers. I am often waiting for an urgent parcel from some courier or other and it is only a matter of time before in a momentary lapse of concentration I click on one.

The quality of some of the forgeries is excellent. They look to all intents and purposes identical to real "could not deliver" msgs.

The only thing wrong it that they don't go to the right email address and they don't use a valid shipping number. But if you are at all distracted it would be easy to make a mistake on an inbound msg that by chance appears at exactly the right time. Backups are your friend.

Most of the stuff these days are vectors for cryptolocker ransomeware or bank identity theft Trojans - neither are good for you.

Reply to
Martin Brown