Jotul F12 door

Anyone know how I can get the door off a Jotul F12 woodburner, so I can change the glass without having to do it on the stove (and hence vertically)? There are some screws behind the hinges, but they are obscured by the door such that I can't get a screwdriver on them.

The manual just says "Remove the door." (Written by Haynes, perhaps?)

Reply to
Huge

Daft question #1 Do the hinge pins either lift or knock out?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No such thing as a daft question!

Pin, singular. There's a rod that runs through both the top and bottom hinges. It cannot be pulled out because it is obstructed at both the top and bottom.

Perhaps I should post a link to a photo?

(P.S. the chimney sweep had a go at it, too, and he couldn't work it out, either.)

Anyone know of a woodburner forum I could ask on?

Reply to
Huge

Is this one where the top comes off? If so it has two bolts inside the firebox, if the lid is off then the hinge pins come out (although I might be remembering a different model)

Reply to
MrCheerful

Well, it has a loading door that allows you to put logs in from the top - is that what you mean?

I had a rummage round inside this morning and couldn't find anything inside. Or do you mean the top of the whole stove comes off and then the hinge rod can be pulled out of both hinges?

It's all a bit academic now, since the broken piece of glass fell out this evening (probably as a result of my attempts to see how the door comes off) so I'll have to mend it "as is".

Reply to
Huge

Does it lift vertically so the hinges separate into the part attached to the body and the part attached to the door?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't believe so. I've found some pix online and it appears you can get the doors off without removing the top;

The hinges fit into the vertical recesses either side of the door aperture. Youi can just see the holes where the inaccessible screws go into the the body in this photo;

Anyway, I've both emailed and Facebook messaged Jøtul, so let's see what they have to say - "buy a new stove", probably, since this one is ca. 20 years old.

Reply to
Huge

I guess this is very heavy? Otherwise, "without having to do it on the stove (and hence vertically)" is not 100% true. You could turn the stove on its side. :)

I'm just guessing, but if you lift the door up vertically perhaps the bottom hinge pin pops out of its socket? Presumably, this only works when the door is fully open, for safety reasons.

Reply to
GB