Nasty vinyl

I recently got a new place with vinyl tile in part of the basement which is actually a three car garage (carriage house). The floor is a mess. The 12 X 12 tiles are soundly attached to the concrete, no curls, or cracks, but it looks like hell. I think the floor has had water run in a couple of times, with the resulting grime. I'm sure part of it is old wax buildup. I have cleaned a good part of it with ammonia and hot water but it still looks dirty.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. I did a search for floor strippers. What I got was mostly commercial packages designed for resale. I did find a Johnson's stripper at the Lowes site. Thanks for any help!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Dennis

If and that is a bif IF you have commercial grade tile (likely in a garage), after you have stripped it wet mop the floor using comet or other abrasive type cleaner. You will have to rinse it very well to pick up all the comet. This should leave the floor dull and as clean as it gets. For a three car garage area I would estimate 1.5 large cans of comet and 15- 5 gallon mop bucket changes of rinse water. A lot of work but the result is worth it. We used to do this in commercial kitchens for a deep cleaning. Test it on a single dirty tile to see the results for yourself.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Check in with a janitorial supply outlet. They will have some of the most effective products for cleaning the tile. You may be able to rent a scrubber from them also that could save you a bunch of work. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

If it is color through vinyl, commercial, it can be cleaned. cut into a piece to see if i is solid color. Rent a floor buffer-scrubber if it is, you will never do it by hand.

Reply to
m Ransley

Comet has bleach in it it may not be good gor your vinyl

Reply to
rnr_construction

If you ever decided to remove, be careful, as it sounds like asbestos tile.

-Dave

Reply to
David