Nail gun / Compressor

Stuck - a little advice please.

When the weather picks up I need to clad the shed with some shiplap, Im not too good with the old hammer so I thought new toy - nail gun. I wont be fixing and 2x3s in the near future and after the shed, probably wont need it much at all - the odd skirting board and window bead etc.

I was looking round Ebay (dont laugh) for something 2nd had like

(
) which seems fine to me - but after looking at screwfix and finding this (
) I dont know any more. They look similar spec to me - anyone have any experience of either of the two products?

Tia.

Reply to
Lardman

What do you want to do with it?

If you are talking about putting shed framing together, then a framing nailer would be used.

If it is to put cladding onto a frame, then you need a 16 or ideally

15 gauge nailer. The 18gauge Screwfix one is totally inadequate for doing anything like this.

I don't believe that the offering on Ebay is any better. They don't say what gauge the nailer is. At any rate it is not up to nailing decking.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cheers Andy

No framing - no heavy work - just putting the 3/4 inch shiplap cladding on. I did look at the ?proper? nailers but I cant justify the expense - which begs the question what the hell use could you make of an 18 gauge one? Looks like its thumb hammering time :-(

Thanks

Lard

Reply to
Lardman

Generally an 18 gauge nailer is used for pinning light things such as wooden components during gluing, architraves perhaps, that kind of thing.

18 gauge nails, aka brads are really not man enough to do a decent job of this kind of cladding. It would work, but not be that strong. If the shed is a pretty lightweight one not intended to last a vast amount of time then perhaps OK, but I wouldn't do it.

You can get 16ga nailer kits (e.g. from Machinemart etc.) but they are getting to the £200 area......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Agree with Andy the Clarke kit is OK for fitting skirting & architrave, but not suitable for fencing.

Look for a frame nailer ... I recently bought 2nd hand one from Adtrader. Look for a BeA, Paslode or Senco .. I have several guns & staplers form these guys .. although the frame nailer is made by Spotnails and not a patch on build quality.

Sounds like you need something capable of 90mm nails.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , Andy Hall writes

I'd agree with Andy, it'll be an 18ga nailer, marginal for cladding a shed. Decking in the title is a joke. I've just this week bought a compressor & 18ga nailer from Axminster as I'm building a big shed soon. It'll be useful for some of the work, but I'm now kicking myself as I've just read the Axminster catalogue again and noticed their Masonary Nailer is only £99. I looked at the manual (online at the Axminster site), and it takes 13ga nails up to 64mm. Now Screwfix have a variety of nails for wood-masonary, wood-wood and wood-steel. If these fit the Axminster beast its what I should have bought in the first place.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

If you want a new toy to play with B&Q have been doing the same set for about GBP 50. It isn't good enough to hold everything permanently but you can use it to tack everything in place and follow up with an electric drill/screwdriver to put screws in. Saves a lot of time.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Sorry i cant help you .. maybe i just have info for you to get best seller product update rate and prize product here http://j.gs/3HF0

Reply to
ctvector2

How old is the hammer?

You might do better getting a decent hammer if all you have is your grandda d's Woolworth's toffee hammer.

Most hammers are really quite good these days which was not the case until the 1980's when a decent hammer would have cost you about £20.

Get a 16 oz rather than a 20 oz one. (No idea if that quality control has b een mortified by the crooks in Europe.) If it starts sliding on nail heads in a few years time, just scrape it clean on some glass-paper.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

WTF?

Reply to