mystery 30mm cast iron pipe

I'm installing a new kitchen for the mother-in-law and have come across an old cast iron pipe which was hidden behind some stud work and old board.

The pipe is on an inside wall, comes in from the ground and is approx 4 foot high. It has a diameter of approx 30mm. It has been cut at the top and the end has been plugged with what appears to be putty. I have removed some of this putty, and nothing has come out, oil, gas or water.

The water and gas connections are on the opposite wall, by the sink, an outside wall, so what could this pipe be, an old gas connection maybe?

Any ideas what is it, do you think it will be safe to cut it at about 6 " form the floor.

Secondly she is having a new cooker and hob, changing from gas to electric, consequently I will need to cap the old gas feed as it's in the way.

I am a competent wet plumber but was wondering if there was any advice for a job like this (i.e. don't do it). It seems straight forward, Turn off gas at meter, cut pipe, make end good, then solder on new end cap, turn gas back on, and check for leaks with gas aerosol stuff. ( what about any gas left in the pipe when I'm soldering, will air have got into the system during the process, etc)

TIA

Jon

Reply to
jon

Provided it's copper pipe it should not be a great problem as you seem to know the pitfalls. one point however is "for the mother in law".

You are in contravention of the regulations in doing this bit for a third party, particularly if she gives you anything for doing it.

Just a pointer!

Reply to
EricP

Sounds like an old Gas connection, I had one in my last home. If you've unplugged it and nothing came out then simply cut it to the required height/length and replug with the putty stuff again.

If you're not Corgi registered, don't do it. Haven't you got any plumber friends that can do it for you?

Reply to
Dark Angel

Cheers all it was an old gas pipe, cut and no problems

Yes I have plenty of plumber friends, but they're not Corgi registered ;-}

Jon

Reply to
jon