Multimaster Copy?

You claim to be a professional. Boy are you dumb!

Reply to
Steve Firth

In that case, wouldn't he also reclaim the VAT on the Bosch - thus maintaining the same percentage differential as you get by comparing the VAT-inclusive prices?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Tsk, you trying to introduce common sense into a mickey-take of dribble?

Reply to
Steve Firth

If the Bosch is anything like their "power scraper", I'd forget it. Mine rattled itself to pieces with minimal use.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In percentage terms yes, but in pound notes it narrows the difference.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I have one of these. It's OK for what it is.

It's suitable for small craft work like carving (takes the Flexcut tools for example); but I wouldn't use it as anything requiring heavy duty.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You might well, but it won't be anything comparable...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which is plus VAT so its £40 more than the Fein.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Which is £40 more than the Bosch I mean ................................

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You're thinking small time.

If you are having to worry about VAT, it's time to expand the business and expand the vision,

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not legally you don't. You can only claim back VAT if you sell it on and the buyer then pays the VAT.

Reply to
dennis

Matt, stop making things up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Excellent plan. A cheap copy of the MM for an Aldi price would be worth having. You don't use them much either, it might even last a reasonable length of time.

The Bosch though is neither one thing nor the other.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And you have one so you would know?

I used mine in anger today for the first time. Enlarged a hole in plasterboard for a new back box, cut a hole in a chipboard flatpack, cut off a pvc waste flush, cut a copper pipe in an inaccessable area, trimmed an ally setion to size. Did everything I wanted it to do.

Well pleased with it. Good value.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have absolutely no intention whatsoever to ever become VAT registered. I can earn a good living without becoming an unpaid tax collector for HMG. I have no wish to expand & feed an idiot guvmint with money it would simply squander on equally idiot projects.

Plus the fact that the punters hate VAT, which gives me a competitive advantage because I don't add 17:5% to every job in order to line Gordon's pockets.

Small is beautiful :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a Multimaster and I can read the pricetags. As the Bosch is still 2/3rd of the price of the better one, the saving isn't worth it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In practice you wouldn't need to add 17.5% to the total as you could claim back the VAT on materials etc used. Although I realise on probably most of your jobs the materials are not significant compared to the labour costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dremels were expensive and the cheap Aldi types came along. I have one and for the rare work it does as these machines have limited use, it is great value.

I can't see why these Fein type of machines are so expensive (even the Bosch is overpriced), there is nothing in them. A detail sander with attachments. And yes they would not be used much. Not a use every day type of tool, although some would use them frequently depending on what they do every day.

Appears to be the same thing with fewer attachments, which I'm sure more will come as it is fresh on the market.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There is no requirement to sell something that you have purchased in order to deduct the input tax.

Reply to
John Rumm

The materials will have VAT on them anyway. So if you are vat registered, you buy at the VAT inc price and reclaim the VAT, but are then obliged to add VAT when you sell. Hence if you make a profit on the materials, then there is a nett flow to Gorden equal to the VAT on the value added.

If you are not VAT registered, then you buy at a VAT inc price and don't reclaim, you are not required to add VAT when you sell. However the sale price already includes VAT - so the only difference to the customer is that there is no VAT charged on the markup.

So with materials is makes little difference to the customer unless you are selling at big mark-ups.

For labour however it is a different ball game. Here you really are adding 17.5% to the bottom line.

If your customer base is mostly end users, then you are better of not being VAT registered. If the punters are mainly businesses then being VAT registered is an advantage as you are claiming back the VAT on all your expenses and investments.

Reply to
John Rumm