Moving toilet pan....soil stack question

Hi all. I am updating our first floor bathroom.

Having created extra space by removing a cupboard that protruded from an adjoining room I want to move the toilet pan 90 degrees from one wall to another. This will mean moving the connection at the stack (internal)

90 degrees as well. What's the easiest approach? Do I need to remove the existing boss and install a new one or are there other options.

Also, once installed I will be boxing-in some pipework including the stack. What's the best material to use if I am then tiling to finish? All advice greatly received as always

-- Charlie Pie

Reply to
Charlie Pie

If it's a plastic stack with rubber gaskets in the joints (rather than being welded) you can probably just swing the boss round to face in a different direction.

Reply to
Roger Mills

What is the existing connection to? Solvent weld plastic, or pushfit plastic, or cast iron? A bend, or a branch, with or without spare bosses (of what size), etc? Picture?

Plasterboard would be fine and cheapest and easiest to install as this isn't a particularly wet area, and is OK for most tiles (the recommended max is 32kg/m as long as it is unskimmed, which covers most ordinary tiles, some thicker porcelain or stone + adhesive is heavier than that, at which point it is a risk to some degree).

Reply to
boltmail

Heres a photo. It looks like pushfit to me but then I'm no expert There's no spare bosses.

Cheers.

Pie

Reply to
Charlie Pie

mine, I'd get new fittings, and not reuse the old ones, as they do perish over time, and the seal may well be stuck to the pipe as it has been there so long, so you'd damage it when twisting it. Make sure you do it on a day when there are plumbers suppliers open, as you can come across many unforseen problems when changing a toilet.

I've changed maybe 15 in the last 6 months, and of those, I can only recall 2 or 3 that were really easy to replace, others would need an extended, or shorter waste pipe, the new pan had its outlet higher, so an angled pipe would be needed etc. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks for that. When you say new fittings, can the stack be pushed u to allow the new connection to be fitted and the old to be removed fo that matter

-- Charlie Pie

Reply to
Charlie Pie

ere's no spare bosses.-

If it is a house, with no other connections in the loft, or above that one, then yes, usually you can lift them up enough to get one of the joins out. See how it exits first though, if it is solidly attached to the roof, then be careful pushing it up, or you could push off the water tight join between the soil pipe and roof. I have seen them with a very loose hole through the roof tiles, then a plate attached to the pipe - the plate is not attached at all to the roof, so the pipe can be pushed up. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee