Mortice Locks

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 01:13:39 +0100, "Terry D"

AFAIK, it is technically impossible to insure any house with a UPVC front door against burglary. You need BS3621 for every policy I've seen lately, and AFAIK it's not possible to obtain such a lock for such a door (the typical espagnolete lock and a Euro-cylinder)
Comments, anyone ?

I checked with the nationwide at the time I bought my house because I was worried about this. My door has a metal skin that locking arrangement but they did not have a problem with it and said the same for such "modern" door/lock and it isn't in the policy documents (which look pretty standard to me) as a requirement.
Obviously, this might not apply in every case so please check yourself - phone call/letter to your insurer only takes a minute.
Andrew
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:01:54 +0100, Andy Dingley

The insurance companies run a separate "approved lock" scheme for multipoint locks which meet their security standard but can't meet BS3621 for some reason related to the way the standard is written. I had the correct name for it somewhere and I think its somewhere on the Essex Fittings web site.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

back of the case. The dimension you describe is the backset.
Current chubbs are mm sized, key posn 40mm back from the door edge is likely to be a 67mm (2 1/2") lock, 57mm backset suggests 80mm (3" lock). I say likely 'cos they do a 3" lock with a 40mm backset too.
You make the backset/case size mistake once, travel 100mls to middle of nowhere to fit the lock for aged relative, then you don't forget ;-)
--
fred

Interesting info. I wasn't aware that PVC-u doors aren't fitted with BS3621 locks. Personally, I hate PVC doors, especially white. I had hardwood doors fitted instead, with BS3621 locks and deadbolts.
I repeat more or less what I said in an earlier posting - whatever precautions you take, a professional thief can be in and out of your property within 5 minutes, together with your most valuable possessions, so make sure that you conform to your insurance company requirements for the resulting claim. And remember that you're not allowed to shoot the thieves, but I think they're allowed to shoot you if you offer resistance, and then probably sue you for stress!
Terry D.