Modern day plastic door lock problem.

Hi;

I have a "Coldseal" back door, Ya I Know. After several years I have just got round to using the lock on it, that basically no longer works.

It is the type that has four fingers and four pegs that go to really lock the door to the frame, where one has to ram the door handle up to engage them. It has the standard Euro lock to throw a long flat bolt into the frame and lock the whole thing up.

I have taken all this apart and come to the conclusion there is a broke spring (Only the one spring in there) that maintains pressure on one on the plates that sits under the bolt.

Any one solve this problem?

I guess there may even be a seller of the whole replcement mechanism some where as these seem to be standard (though stamped "Coldseal") type fitments to modern doors.

Regards Ian

Reply to
ipellew

snipped-for-privacy@pipemedia.co.uk wrote in news:1139165183.979880.86970 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I had a similar problem, though not on a Coldseal. My door simply jammed in the locked position.

I called a local locksmith, who managed to unjam the lock and he then replaced the whole locking mechanism. He said that locking systems were pretty standard and he just adjusted the length by sawing a bit off !

Total cost was about £130.

George

Reply to
George

George wrote in news:Xns9761C501651DDGeorgeP@140.99.99.130:

I forgot to mention ..... He also adjusted the doors by using the screws on the hinges because he reckoned that where I had been "ramming" the handle upwards this had strained the locking mechanisms causing them to break. He did the adjustment free of charge !

George.

Reply to
George

I ws just going to suggest checking the frame fixings to check the frame is still sitting tight. Go around it with a good spirit leve too.

At a guess -if it's a glass panelled door; I'd say that the glass has not been fitted properly. It should be resting againsts a packer up near the top of the side opposite the hinges and a packer on the bottom near the hinge side.

Similar in principle to the way a brace is inserted in a ledged and braced door.

As the door opens you will be able to see if I am correct as it has dropped onto the threshold on the lock edge.

If it is plastic pannelled then they will not be heavy enough to do that damage. In which case the fitting have probably come loose. You will have to drill plug ans screw extra fixings in the frame to bring it back.

Check for dropped packers and make sure it goes back square -there may be a temptation to over compensate. There might be a measure of "drop" if you think it need that. Don't forget to re-seal it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you are lucky enough to have a locksmith locally ask him for advice, there's quite a few different types of multi point locks. Priced from about £50 upwards.

Reply to
Scabbydug

There aren't that many different types and they are priced=20 from about =A315 !!

Google for Avocet Hardware. You will find a replacement=20 mechanism (or even parts) there.

You might even get one locally from a hardware wholesaler or=20 Builders Merchant.

--=20 Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Reply to
Ziggur

There aren't that many different types and they are priced from about £15 !!

Google for Avocet Hardware. You will find a replacement mechanism (or even parts) there.

You might even get one locally from a hardware wholesaler or Builders Merchant.

- Are you referring to the cylinders or the lock bodies themselves, crap cylinders are available from about £4.00.

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Reply to
Scabbydug