Mirror glass for wardrobe door

Hi all. I'll be adding sliding doors to the wrdrobe in the near future. The wardorbe will have 3 doors and 2 of them are made of

9mm veneered mdf. The 3rd will be a mirror and all them will be framed with oak about 30 - 35mm x 20 - 22mm. Question is: what should be minumum thickness of the mirror glass?

and what does glass weigh?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

It isn't structural like a window glass would be. Besides it is backed by the cupboard. Or you could just buy a mirror/door for such a project.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I use mirror in my stained glass work - a couple of years ago I bought (very cheaply!) some stock mirror from the local glass people - they were using it in 1ft x 5 ft pieces for mirrors inside wardrobe doors....

I've just been out to the studio to measure a piece for you - it's

3mm thick, and a 12" x 12" piece weighs about 600g... (sorry about the mixed units !)

I can't imagine that you'd want to use anything thinner - a 4ft long piece of 3mm is alarmingly flexible ! - and thinner glass would be more so. If you made the 3rd door from mdf then you could simply stick the mirror onto it. Not sure about the safety angle - when ordinary mirror-glass breaks you get lots of sharp edges - and the thought of somebody falling 'through' a large mirror that's only supported round the edges is a pretty nasty one....

I believe there's a special mastic that can be used to stick the mirror to the doors 'invisibly' - conventional 'smells like vinegar' mastic may attack the silvering on the back of the mirror.

Another thing to watch is the possibility of moisture getting behind the silvering (if there's an shower / en-suite close by, perhaps ?)

In stained glass work, the flux that we use for soldering can, over time, get between the glass and the 'silvering' and cause unsightly 'blackedge'. In small-scale work a very fine line of clear nail-varnish can be used just to seal the edge of the mirror - there are probably other varnish-type-substances that would do the same job, but I've not tried them...

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

4mm silver with a safety backing is what you need for wardrobes
Reply to
Stuart Noble