measuring electrickery usage

I'm thinking its time to start measuring energy usage (but will it cost more than it saves?)

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor £39.95 Current Cost Data Cable £7.95 software:
- By Dale Lane A desktop application for Windows or Linux to draw graphs of history data stored by CurrentCost energy

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

If you don't need the PC input then the free monitors given away by the energy companies will fe fine. The British Gas free one (thanks Peter Parry) has rolling totals for the current day / week / month.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yep, do what my chum's misses did, switched/unplugged the lot except the fridge/freezer and then read the meter as a start, then again two hours later. One by one, she plugged things in and checked the meter after another hour. She boiled the kettle half a dozen times and worked out the average. She must have been bored, but she can tell you exactly what they pay for everything in the place....

Reply to
Harry

For ease of connecting to a PC and writting applications to analyse the data I don't think so. I have one it works and looking at the plot of power consumption can be quite enlightening.

If you don't need the PC input then the free monitors given away by

A lot of the "free" offers on energy monitors also require you to sign up for a "green" tarrif where the unit cost is higher than normal... I can't remember the details of the BG offer but don't think that required you to have a) mains gas or b) switch tarrif so that might really be "free".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

demand-based. A good fairly level base load but with some very expensive peaks!

:-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor £39.95

Might be something here:

mark

Does the BG one not cover dual-tarrif?

Then again price would need updating that much they might as well stick a laptop on the end of it.

Google one is interesting, but too pricey at =A360. Basically sell something which saves about as much as its carbon & financial cost over its life. How American Marketing, cue the 'our product is carbon neutral' :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Since this is a DIY group, after all....

Bob Eager

Not to mention the "(+=A32.99/month)" under the price...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

is the link to the British Gas eco-toys thread.
the original heads-up. Offloaded the power strip to my brother (he seemed chuffed). The code given still appears valid on the BG website. Just follow the instructions given by Mr Parry ;-)

Reply to
Part timer

So to get this you have to be on benefits, or over 70 or lie about your age. is that correct?

Reply to
pete

> Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor £39.95

good but the gadget costs £70 and £36/year subs.

Reply to
Adrian C

Do you work for BG?

Reply to