Masons Mitres is it possible?

Hi, Just about to decide on a worktop its already been decided for me that were not having W.J.S and so therefore will require masons mitre joints... Most of the worktop is in a U shape. What is the best way to achieve this kind of joint? Im aware that this kind of joint requires measuring and cutting in-situ due to the fact walls need to be square. Would I be able to hire a jig and buy a cheap mitre is it a diy job (Im fairly competant, tho didnt think that when I had water spraying out of a solder joint!) or can I buy pre mitred worktops Thanks for any help DD

Reply to
Derek Doormer

I've just returned from HSS with a worktop jig & router, ready to tackle the butt & scribe (masons mitre) joints for my laminate worktops this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on :-)

Reply to
Tony Eva

Reply to
Derek Doormer

Ummm... (grabs invoice) for a weekend hire: £31.25 for the jig, router and a couple of clamps. Plus £12.50 for the router bit (refundable if returned unused, i.e. if you already have your own) and £20 for the jig insert, refundable if it's returned undamaged. So between £31.50 and £81.50, depending on how clumsy/well equipped you are :-) I think there was an extra £4-ish for insurance too.

It even comes with a 15 minute video to show you what to do :-)

My local kitchen place wants £45 per joint, so given that I'm doing two joints as well as using the router for cutting the worktop ends and the sink insert, it's a good deal for me - assuming I don't c*ck it up and destroy the worktop of course.

There's some info on

- search for 'worktop hirepack', code

04219.

HTH

Reply to
Tony Eva

Sorry, I mean between £31.25 and £63.75. Sigh.

Reply to
Tony Eva

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:09:23 +0000, Tony Eva strung together this:

Glad you said that, I was trying to work it out for 10 minutes!

Reply to
Lurch