Makro Nupower Drill (Incredible Price)

8/12/04 offer.

24 Volt Cordless. 2 Batteries. Only £14.99

If anyone is tempted by this "incredible price", take a tip and buy yourself a hand drill, it will out perform this one by a long way.

Basically, this drill is absolute crap and they must be dumping it.

It doesn't hold a charge for any time, and if you charge it for 1 hour, it lasts 5 minutes drilling into soft walls with a 2mm bit. An

18 hour charge is not much better.

Also it has the torque of an 85 year old arthritic granny.

Reply to
EricP

Cue long discussion veering between the two camps: (i) you get what you pay for - spend £100 on a drill (ii) but I can buy 4 of these for the same money so why bother.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I bought a similar one from CPC, 24V, 1 battery, 3-5 hour recharge. (They also had another combo -- same drill but with 2 batteries and a 1 hour charger). I wasn't expecting it to be brilliant, it's not a 1000W SDS drill, but it doesn't seem to have the problems yours has. Actually, I was using it a few days ago with a 6 x 450mm masonary bit to nearly full length a number of times, and it worked fine. I don't know how long the battery lasts, because I've never managed to run it flat. Check how long you are supposed to charge the battery -- mine warns you not to exceed 5 hours or you'll damage it. I know they do different charge rate versions, so your's might not be the same. Failing that, take it back as faulty.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think I will try to take it back, it's not much use for anything else. :((

Reply to
EricP

.. and the shop smells uncared for.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

CPC are doing a 36v Cordless SDS in their current mailshot for £36.99 plus vodka. Just thought I'd mention it. :-)

Reply to
StealthUK

You do know these things sometimes need running in don't you?

You may have a faulty charger. You don't need a 3 to 5 hour wait for a recharge so exchange it for the 1 hour charge version.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Exchange for cash would be a better option.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Unless one is preternaturally unable to see that sort of stuff as much other than beer tokens.

What could be a fairly useful tool might easily turn out to be a fairly heavy session in that case.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Although I don't think I would buy anything in Makro that I intended to consume. I've been in two different stores and both smelled and were dirty. I threw the card away.

Reply to
Andy Hall
[snip]

I've used these cheap NuTool power tools for some time now and found them very good for the price.

If they were more expensive then they would be rubbish for the money.

However, they do give a 2 year guarantee and I have always found Makro fine about taking them back. My best yet was returning an SDS drill to Makro after 20 months of total abuse.

Of course they did not sell that model any more so happily refunded the money. I then walked down the aisle and bought a later, more powerful version for £10 less than the previous model.

Being paid £10 for best part of 2 years use is not bad economics!

If you use these tools everyday and things like weight are important then spend more money. If they are used occasionally for DIY use then you cannot beat the throw-away concept of their price.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Oddly, beer is one of the things our local one is best for... ;-)

(can't say that it is dirty or smell particularly, unless you linger for too long in the dog food isle).

Reply to
John Rumm

I went to the Reading one. It makes Baghdad look like the riviera.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We bought them for work, the students wreck things so cheap throw aways are better lasting 3-6 months than expensive ones. Got me a nutool 24v for Scouting/portable radio operations/ odd diy where the corded is a pain, 6 months on its still fine. One of the NTL installers I know only buys nutool from makro now as all his expensive stuff either got nicked or damaged by his workmates, if a

30 quid drill goes walkies/fails its not such a problem as a 300 quid bosch...Esp. as he carries 2 in the van.
Reply to
Badger