Making a small room look bigger ...........

My experyise in the art of making a small room look bigger extends to:
a) painting the walls a light blue or light blue-grey, to imply distance, and b) introducing some horizontal lines into the paintwork and curtains.
Does anyone know of any other tricks one can employ?
The room in question is only 3m x 4m, and I have to make it look as spacious as possible....
Thanks
Frank

a bit of this and that which breaks it up.

Hang large mirrors on one or more walls - works a treat!
Roger

continues; even more effective if there is a window there, not in the same wall as the mirror but at 90 deg so the mirror reflects the window;
The mirror can be quite narrow, but should reach the ceiling and ideally also the floor
reflectionWWWWWWWWWWWW               M              M              M              M              M              M               X                    X     Viewpoint                    X                    X
I can't do ascii art

Take the door(s) off.
Dave
Not in my name: <http://www.stopwar.org.uk /

"Frank Z" < snipped-for-privacy@go.com> wrote in message

sorry about the previous post.
Without challenging, why do you want it to look more spacious? It could be cosy, snug, normal ...
But if you insist I'd suggest having no patterns at all in the room and as few colours as possible, preferably light. You don't say what the purpose of the room is but if you keep all furniture round the walls there will be floor space in the centre. If you have children they'll fill that immediately :-(.
Our sitting room is that size and it's the one almost everyone says they like as soon as they go into it, spontaneously.
Size doesn't always matter!
Mary

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:05:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

I take your point... The room was a bedroom but it is currently to be used as a lounge, since the house has ben turned into two flats. OK, size doesn't *allways* matter, but I think that usually, bigger is generally considered better - especially by house buyers and I'm possibly going to be selling the place soon. It is an old terraced house with small rooms. So I need to make the larger rooms (this being one of them) look as large as possible. That's my thinking, anyway.... but I thank you for the suggestions. And thanks to everyone else for the helpful suggestions. I've taken on board a few good tips here.
Frank

I knew of one, not more though.
No, I'm not having problems*, just too hasty with the Hit Finger, sorry if it's caused any irritation.
Flattering really, that you noticed :-)
Mary
*well, no more than usual that is, comes with age ...