Making a little platform

Mother in law will need a little step up or platform to help her get into bed, as it is a bit high off the ground and she is rather elderly. I thought of making her one out of timber, and I wanted to cover the top surface with something non-slip. A piece of carpet sounds ideal, but will that start to fray/disintegrate around the edges, and is there any simple way to stop that? With nylon ropes, it's usual to melt the end to hold it all together. is that necessary with a carpet? I don't want any loops of carpet coming loose and being a trip hazard.

Reply to
GB

Round the nose of the "platform" rather on the lines of a staircase tread. If you use reasonably heavy hessian-backed carpet it should last for years!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Copydex is usually used to stop carpet fraying.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hum, the step isn't going to be come a trip hazard in itself is it?

Perhaps a slightly lower bed would be better? Trouble is the height is pretty critical. Low easy to get into but hard to rise from from. High hard to get into but easy to get up from...

For proper carpet not really without stitching the edge. To avoid doing that that you might be able to blag one of the swatches from a carpet sample book from a carpet shop, real carpet, ready stitched edges. Alternatively a cheap door mat from a super market.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why not make the top separate from the box, carpet it, and wrap the carpet right over the edge and fix it to the underside of the top. Then finally fix the top to the box. All the edges will be hidden under the top and out of the way.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ribbed rubber is pretty hard wearing, non slip and easy to glue. And easy to clean.

Dave Plowman (News)

In message , GB writes

Rather than making something from wood, how about a caravan step, with non slip rubber step(s)? Something like eBay item 120744453746 or

300573253589?

News

It would be safer to lower the bed.

Reply to
dennis

low beds are VERY hard for elderly people to get OUT of.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think I will check that, because MIL is actually complaining the bed is too high. I'll have a look underneath. I might even be able to use my 9" angle grinder. I'd like that. :)

Reply to
GB

IME the elderly can't get into and out of low beds and chairs so don't over do lowering the stuff or you will end up putting it on blocks. You will find chairs and beds that rise and fall using electric motors just to make life easier.

Reply to
dennis

Careful with that angle grinder, Eugene !

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

To minimis trip risk from carpet, glue the carpet all over rather than just fixing it at the edges. Or simply dont carpet it.

NT

Reply to
NT