Machine Shop Retirement

Page 2 of 3

Well, you're not able to *truly* inspect a car at an auction either - you buy it on the basis of the description being correct, and only bid a price that covers the unexpected. If you've got any sense. Same with Ebay - you work from the description and pics. If there was some form of implied warranty, the whole thing wouldn't work, IMHO. The warranty is the reputation of the individual you're buying from in the form of his feedback.

I take it you don't like PayPal etc? I've found it ok so far.
--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:28:44 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

From my personal experience I believe that buying a car at auction doesn't give you the option to ask the seller a question prior to placing a bid.

There's a lot of negative stuff about PayPal and has been for a while (see http://www.paypalsucks.com /). However if you are careful there's nothing to be concerned about.
I specifically do not allow PayPal to automatically debit my credit card when payments are due - I always do those manually.
PoP
[13 lines snipped]

Correct.
The day they start to be regulated like the bank they actually are, I'll consider using them.
On 21 Dec 2003 17:17:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

We backed out of the auction for the victorian tiled floor I mentioned on here not so long back because the seller got the description and sizes horribly wrong, they also didn't say that the floor was still in place and we'd have to lift it.
Lifting it in itself wasn't the problem, but the sizes were. We'd have had to do too much filling of gaps. Fortunately the sellers realised their mistake and were understanding, so 'rah for them! -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Auctions seem to be excluded - Section 5 of http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002334.htm

So they are. Oh, well, I did say I wasn't a lawyer.

However, Ebay is not an auction.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

<argumentative mode=off> What is it, then? </argumentative>
On 23 Dec 2003 22:20:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Exactly what it describes itself as, a trading venue where _sales_ take place using "an auction format". Nowhere does Ebay call itself an auction. If it were an auction it breaks UK auction law in a number of ways.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Blimey. Thank you, Sir.
writes

students managed to run up a bill of 160 million dollars on inline auction sites ... they said they were bored.
--
geoff

Huge wrote:

Does that apply to private transactions as well as commercial ones? Thinking about it, does consumer law differentiate between the two at all?
--
Grunff

AFAIK, no. But, once again, IANAL.

The trouble is knowing what's reasonable. If someone has to buy all new packing materials, and has a fair drive to a PO etc, you can't expect them to bear the cost. So saying, by far the majority are fine.
--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

I had one of these recently with test equipment - a US company wanting to add a surcharge of $45 for handling on top of shipping charges to the UK, All their items have no reserve and of the $45, $15 is their "standard" handling charge. I'm convinced this is their way of guaranteeing a profit, and I'm very glad I checked before bidding.
Incidentally, I have bought stuff both from the Continent and the US with great success. Furthest distance so far is from Alaska.
Regards,
Simonm.
--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org

To follow up:-
Post a list of those things on here - I for one might be interested.
--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:41:04 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Me too!
</aol> -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Witchy wrote:

AOL to that - we *need* that list!
--
Grunff

Grunff <> wrote

Bagsy I get the cheap metalworking lathe, with lead screw ;-)
Cheers,
Paul.