Lower your thermostat

Hi there,

Just wanted to share with you how we managed to reduce the temperature from 21.5C to 19.5C, when I tried reducing it straight to 19.5C everyone felt cold so it was turned back up.

What I did was lower it by just 0.5C every two weeks or so, so know everyone is perfectly happy at 19.5C, it is far too hot if you come in after running, a bit cool if you just sit with a t-shirt however it is a comfortable temperature when you wear a long sleeved top.

I never feel cold even with a t-shirt though.

I am happy at 16.5C in my own room but no one else is, I get called a hot blooded teenager!

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

Go you ...

Reply to
geoff

Ah you'll probably discover you have a thyroid problem or similar keeping you warm.

But yeah gradual is the best way. :)

Reply to
mogga

I keep trying this but SWMBO keeps turning it back up to 20!

I get accused of having anti-freeze instead of blood.

Reply to
Mark

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Maybe you can recalibrate it so 20=18?

Reply to
Tim S

I already have ;-)

Reply to
Mark

That is just a config file change in my home automation system!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

I was thinking more lo-tech - like bending or twisting something with pliers ;->

Reply to
Tim S

Tim S posted

Even more low-tech here; I pulled off the knob that adjusts the setpoint, turned it slightly anticlockwise, and pushed it back on the spindle.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Big Les Wade coughed up some electrons that declared:

Better not get discovered or she'll likely attempt the same exercise on you!

Sorry, couldn't resist :-O

Reply to
Tim S

It's alright for some - All we need is a cold day and 'er indoors turns ours up to somewhere between 22 and 25. Bloody digital display doesn't give the opportunity for a bit of mis-representation.....

Reply to
GMM

The good Honeywell digital stats have offset adjustment and programmable maximum settings, very handy :-)

Reply to
fred

Yes, we have the CM927 and I have limited it to 21C, when my sister turns the heating on she turns it up thinking the house will get warm quicker.....

If I want to limit heating completely I'd probably set the divertor valve in the boiler to hot water only only via the diagnostics.

Reply to
David

I don't know why people turn up the thermostat if it gets colde.

Does the temperature ever reach 25C?

Reply to
David

Phew! I didn't have to write that. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Reply to
David

Because they lack a basic understanding of how a thermostat works?

I have climate control in my car - you just set the desired temperature and it quickly heats up to that temperature, then maintains it. You can separately select the footwell temperature for each side of the car.

So when my partner gets in, the temperature control on the passenger side goes straight to maximum, based on the assumption that "it warms up quicker". Of course it doesn't, but even my partner's honours degree in Physics apparently conferred insufficient knowledge to understand the basic principles of a thermostat. :-(

Reply to
Bruce

That's exactly what happens in my car but also my family thinks that anything below 20C then the climate control turns into air conditioning, but of course the air conditioning only kicks in when the set temperature is lower than the actual temperature.

Reply to
David

I don't recall that being covered in my Physics degree either. I think O-level physics was probably the last time it came up ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I too have a CM927 wireless stat and have also limited it to 21c. Unfortunately people still insist on turning up to 21c which overheats the house even with trvs on all other rooms. A max temp of 19.5 would been ok. I'll have to install another wireless stat that is hidden from view and set to 19.5 and then wire it up in series with the main one :(

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling