low temperature glue

In an idle moment at Christmas, I made a new set of legs for an old wooden table. The existing legs were much too short for the intended purpose of supporting material being fed into the circular saw.

The job is still waiting completion because non of the glues I have are suitable for use below about 10 deg. C.

Does such a glue exist?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When I saw the title, I thought "water". It's a pretty effective glue provided the temperature stays below -20 degC. ... however, it doesn't sound like it will work well for your application :-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I don't know the answer to that, but couldn't you bring the table into your warm house to do the gluing?

Reply to
Bruce

West Systems epoxy - good down to 5 centigrade.

User manual here, including section on "Cold weather techniques"

dom

or ue a hot glue gun ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm, I found out yesterday that I'd forgotten to bring mine inside for the winter, so it was a solid block... so much for the "keep above freezing" and "store at room temperature" warnings on the back :-(

I normally bolt/screw stuff together, so don't have much need for glue...

Jules (off to buy new glue today)

Reply to
Jules

IME pva glue sets ok in the cold, but it goes white rather than being transparent.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I thought about that, but I find the glue sets quickly enough in warm temperatures, so I would imagine it wouldn't stay fluid for long enough in the cold.

Now if you had suggested a pot of old fashioned wood glue kept hot on a gas ring ... ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

You obviously have not met my wife:-)

The table itself presents problems due to size and weight so this would be a last resort. Temporarily heating the workshop or creating a local warm bit might be easier.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Umm...

The original was hoof and hide so I suppose this follows. Assembly time is an issue. Each leg has two mortise sockets for the side rails and will need to be made square before the dowel holes are drilled.

How long do you get before modern hot melt glue reverts to solid?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

mix below 7C*. There is an American site burbling about testing something but still well above freezing.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Is this the *chalking* referred to in the instructions?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Doesn't sound too good. :-(

Can you borrow a space heater?

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Bruce writes

I have a jet air propane heater but don't like introducing direct flame into a woodwork area. There are some very cheap workshop *sawdust* burners available.

Patience. 9C plus advertised for Monday. This was more an enquiry of general interest for those of us using unheated workshops throughout the year.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Probably. IME the strength of the bond isn't affected. Plenty of woodworking shops are unheated overnight

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That I can understand.

I wondered if polyurethane glue might work?

Reply to
Bruce

should do, but it sets lower in cold - as does any chemical or indeed solvent based glue.

only hot glue sets faster in the cold :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps polyurethane would suit the OP, then.

Reply to
Bruce

I'll probably have to buy some fresh stuff anyway as I didn't bring it into the warm.

DIM was drivelling on about *chair doctor* some time back. Something else I meant to look at.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb