Low temperature problems

The temp. here is around 15 degrees F (maybe less), and I have encountered two problems that I suspect are the result of the cold.

  1. Electric starter on snow thrower (stored in attached but poorly insulated garage) spins, but pinion does not engage.

  1. Wayne-Dalton idrive garage door opener just buzzes for a few seconds then stops, even with the door disconnected from the opener.

Comments?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

WD-40

Reply to
RBM

The battery on the snow thrower is not putting out enough voltage - which is temperature dependent - to throw the pinion. Jump it with a battery charger.

Don't know about the garage door opener, but if you figure it out I'd like to know. We're in the midst of a cold-snap here in Houston and I might experience the same thing.

Damn! It's 64°F already.

Reply to
HeyBub

Use an incandescent light to heat it up. Those $5 halogen 200watt lights are great to 'spot heat'. Hit it a dozen times for a second- don't overheat it.

Then lube it with a proper lube- lithium is what mine takes.

My bet would be the electric eye has some crystals on it. Clean well & see if it helps. [also if your door is set up like mine, if you press and hold the manual down button [not your remote] it will over-ride the safety provided by the beam across the bottom of the door.

Probably not lube on the door-- but if you decide to lube it anyway- use Garage door Opener lube. Available at your local borg and created for the conditions of a garage door. [hot/cold/humid/dirty. . . ]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Heybub's post reminded me that there are some 12v starters on some snowblwer. If yours is a battery job, then his scenario is a more likely place to start.

If it is a plugin deal, then heat it up and lube it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yes. Plugs into 120v. I'll try gentle heat -- although in fact the pull starter has been very easy to use.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

-snip-

If you keep them tuned and use multiweight oil a 7HP shouldn't need the electric start. I don't remember ever using mine. But my 35yr old 7hp died this month and I replaced it with a 20 year newer 8hp that my neighbor had salvaged. He believes in straight 30weight oil. Between the extra hp, the higher compression, and the 30w oil, I have to really brace myself when I tug on this one.

Too bad that hardly used starter won't reach the flywheel. 120v starters are $200.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I have the same starter problem but not every time. Last winter I took it off. lubricated everything and it worked for a while. This winter, when it happens I just push in on the starter during the start and it works every time. I'm sure that there is some wear associated with all of this since my Ariens was bought in 1977. MLD

Reply to
MLD

-snip-

Be careful with that old beast. My Bolens [the same machine] was new in '76 and the 7hp Tecumseh finally quit this year. I don't know about its first 20 years, but I know I've never babied it. Change oil once a year if I remember. . . plugs when it said it needed one.

I was so happy that the 8hp engine fit on it so I didn't have to go looking for another old tank.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht