Long Distance Electrics

Can anyone supply me their view of the 16th edition with respect to volt drop and current capability.

I am taking a supply from a third party (with their permission) to a site some 180m away. The third party has insisted that I use 16mm sq SWA to minimise the volt drop. This I accept.

He has calculated (and I concur) that I will remain in the "permissible" voltage range if I restrict my load to 8A. To do this, he is stating that (by the 16th Edition) he needs to fuse the source of my supply with 8A.

This is where we start to disagree.

I consider that the purpose of the outgoing fuse is to protect the cable, thus with 16mm sq, I should (in theory) be good for about 90A. However I shall be prepared to accept 16A that will allow me to run a welder (albeit at lower volts than upstream).

So, I accept that it is his supply and theoretically he could fuse it at 5A (if he wanted) but is there anything in the Wiring Regs that says he must current limit it to prevent me doing damage to my equipment? Surely if he states that the maximum current I can take is 8A to stay within the permissible voltage range, if I decide to exceed that's my problem? (and any damage I do to my equipment is my responsibility).

As it is, the only loads are likely to be fluorescent lights, kettle, welder (ocasionally), compressor (ocasionally) and step down transformers to 110v, 24v and 12v (which I shall tap to suit).

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

How did you calculate the 8A?

My calculations using Ib = 16A, and a voltage drop of 2.8mV/A/m (for 1

16mm^2 conductor) gives:

Voltage drop = 2.8 * 16 * 180 / 1000 = 8.064V.

The limit should be 9.2V so I don't see a problem.

Reply to
Matt Beard

Well according to

you will be safe for use up to 4.5kw, 19amps.

So a 16 amp fuse should be ok.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Is the length of the current path 360m (round trip) though ... 16v @ 16A?

Reply to
AlexW

When I looked orginally on TLC-Direct, I thought I saw that it was it was a maximum 4.4v drop. On revisiting the site I realise that I misread the calculation and that 9.6v is acceptable. (Which means I can get 16A and I'm happy!)

All I need to do now is convince the site sparky! (and find out where he got 8A from!)

(I assume that mV/A/m figure quoted in the regs is for both conductors, so you are doing "out and back" at the same time.)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I once helped Kango drill in a cave in the Mendips over quite a distance wired using over 100m of 13A solid core cable. To get 110V at drill end required over 180V on the surface generator !!!

Reply to
Ian_m