Loft / roofy / conversion type question

Good morning geezers and geezerettes,

was thinking of lining (not converting) my loft. It's an old mid-terr with slate roof. On thing that bothers me is what happens if there's a leak through the roof? If it;s not lined then simple - we see the leak - but if it's lined will this mean tearing down the stud wall to fix and having to replace!

does this make sense or am I just being a major doofis!

J.

Reply to
JoeBhoy

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:22:24 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "JoeBhoy" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Is there felt under the slates? Is it in good condition (i.e., not torn or brittle through age)? Are there any missing or loose slates? Are the nails in good condition? Are the battens in good condition? Are any lead valleys or flashings around chimneys, etc, in good condition? If so, you shouldn't have problems with a leaking roof. If they're not, then you should get this addressed first irrespective of whether you line out the inside of the roof.

If you do line out the inside of your loft, you need to increase the ventilation to the underside of the felt by increasing any ventilation to the eaves and providing ventilation to the ridge.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula