Loft Insulation

Some time this year I'm going to insulate the loft. There's a few cm of really manky looking stuff up there that looks like it's been there for ever.

I had a look at some of the websites that claim to offer discounts and grants but as far as I could gather they mostly seem to have gotchas regarding eligibility, or they require you to change supplier to them as part of the deal.

It's a small 1 bedroom flat and I'm wondering what the most cost-effective/cheapest approach would be. Is it one of those things that the sheds sometimes offer at good prices at certain times of the year? Would I be better going mail order? (I had a look at Screwfix but their choice was very limited).

There seems to be a bewildering choice of materials nowadays and I'm not really sure where to start researching.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

If you ask your existing energy supplier you'll get a free "survey" and a grant-reduced quotation.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

oh wow! I didn't think of that! Thanks, I'll do that.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

I had my loft insulation topped up to 300mm by Mark Insulation for £199, four-bed house. The installer also relagged the cold water tank and drought proofed the access hatch. Had the pipes needed it they would have been lagged as well. My neighbours had theirs done for free because they are over 70.

Reply to
Peter Johnson