Lintel types

I realise that values may vary between manufacturers, but as a general rule of thumb can a steel box lintel [1200mm x 100mm] take more loading than a similar sized concrete lintel?
Just noticed the price difference between the two at the local shed, and assume that there must be a good reason for it.
--

Macie
ZZR600E1
Macie wrote:

According to the guy who build my extension, yes.

The concrete lintels are designed to have at least six or seven brick courses above them to give them strength. The steel box style is able to take a more directly applied loading such as joist ends only one course above them. OK, there is a 3-fold price diff. 6 vs. 18 but it's not going to break the bank is it?
The pdf files linked may help.
http://www.catnic.com/PDF/LITERATURE/LintelDSG.pdf
http://www.igltd.co.uk/downloads/IG_Lintels_Brochure_2003.pdf
--
Toby.

Ah-ha!
No, I was just wondering what the difference in price reflected - I did ask a droid at the shed in question, who didn't know.

Excellent, thank you very much.
--

Macie
ZZR600E1

Dg wrote:

That's a huge oversimplification: the very light steel lintels (corrugated style) and prestressed concrete plank lintels rely on composite action with the masonry over. Steel box lintels and 6x4 concrete lintels don't
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser