Lighting rose: wiring confusion

I'm replacing the spotlight in my kitchen (mains type -- no transformer).

It should be a straight swap out of the existing unit -- but I have forgotten which wires go where. On the old unit only the L and N connectors were used. The light can be switched via a switch on the kitchen wall or via a switch on the hall wall.

Wires dangling are as follows:

2 x red wires crimped together 1 x 3-core wire (I think) with single red wire used, other wires taped off.

Which of these wires go to the L and which to N?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Well, next time you'll remember to label the wires as you disconnect them, won't you ;-)

Ass-U-ming your memory's correct, and there were only two connections made... zerothly, there should've been three - what about the earth!? Maybe you've not mentioned that one for simplicity's sake. Maybe you don't have one - in which case it's time for a rewire.

So, firstly then,(or secondly if we're using awk or Pascal rather than C or Python...) if these two really are the only non-earth incomers, then one is neutral and one is switched-live. A moment with a volt-stick, neon screwdriver, or meter will tell you which is which: one won't light up regardless of switch position, the other will light your "hello have you got volts" device when the switches are in one of their On positions. That's the one you want connected to your L, the other one to N. (In sheer "will it produce light" terms, it wouldn't matter which way round the two are connected; for safety and decency, though, we try to keep L correctly identified, so that (for example) spotlight bases have the N on the more deeply-recessed base spring, while the skirt is connected to neutral. Unless we're Continentals, in which case we're too Hard for any of that pootling about).

Neither the details you've given (all-reds used, "crimped" together - maybe you mean just twisted round each other? or do you really mean two wires stuffed, against all the uses of nature, into a single barrel/bootlace crimp!?) nor your apparent combination of reasoning + pre-existing knowledge (it's not exactly hard to work out the stuff in the previous paragraph of mine) fill me with confidence that you're a Competent Person (in the actual, rather than Part-Pee, sense...) Are you sure you're not a John Prescott troll?

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

"Stefek Zaba" wrote | (In sheer "will it produce light" terms, it wouldn't matter | which way round the two are connected; for safety and decency, | though, we try to keep L correctly identified, so that (for | example) spotlight bases have the N on the more deeply-recessed | base spring, while the skirt is connected to neutral.

Shall we try that one again after another cup of coffee ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

L. I *definitely* wrote L. Some evil bit of line noise corrupted into an N, *and* automagically fixed up the link-level and IP-level checksums. Honest.

15-love ;-)
Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Yup, wot he said....

and, can I have a pint of whatever you are on please?

Reply to
John Rumm

"Stefek Zaba" wrote | John Rumm wrote: | Wot I'm 'on', matey, is lack of sleep :-( | Y'see, my automagic mail handling (spam filtration - for an | entire short-name domain, dang it; and mail-list recognition) | runs on a d-i-y'ed box of preloved

nice term :-)

| Aaah, puters. You gotta love 'em....

I pay Claranet £24 a year for BorderScout antispam and antivirus on all inbound and outbound mail.

I know I /could/ do it myself (although actually I probably couldn't)

Owain

Reply to
Owain