light fitting earth question

I am replacing 3 light fittings The two downstairs have an earth wire and I have replaced ok. I have just disconnected the upstair one and see it has no earth wire coming out of the ceiling. Is this ok, or should it have an earth wire.

Reply to
SS

If the wiring dates back to the 1960's or earlier, it might have no earth in the lighting circuit. In this case, you can only use double insulated lights (which have no earth connection) and plastic light switches.

You should also add a rewire of such circuits to your to-do list, and a review of all wiring of that age.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

House is 80s The light switch is plastic The ones fitted downstair have an earth wire so I assume there is `earth` in the circuit somewhere.

Reply to
SS

It's worth checking that the earth has not just been cut back (why did some electricians do that?).

Additonally, check that someone has not previously messed. I often see a 2 core flex or similar poking through the ceiling. When I check it out there is often a junction box or strip connector above the plasterboard (often added to accomodate a fancy light).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ok I will track it back in the loft and see what I find.

Reply to
SS

Before you do that can you describe what sort of cable is poking through the plasterboard?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

About to dash off to the dentist but had another quick look. Wearing 2 pair of specs for better magnification this is what I now think is there. its a red and a black plastic coated cable with single copper wire (not stranded)coming out of ceiling to light fitting. I need to check later but it appears to come out of a gray cable about cm in diameter and I think there maybe another wire tucked up in the ceiling void which would of course be the earth, but will check later when I get back.

Reply to
SS

Expect to find a couple of pieces of strip connector just behind the plaster joining your T&E:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

T&E ??

Ok progress, I have taken the rose off from the old light fitting the earth wire instead of going to the terminal block for the old light fitting doubles back into the ceiling and and is screwed on to the internal part of the rose that sits in the loft area. Should I just disconnect that and connect it directly to my new light fitting?

Reply to
SS

Twin and earth.

So that's where the rest of the cables are:-)

Yes, if the new fitting needs an earth.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

OK thanks for all the help.

Reply to
SS

Sounds like an excellent reason to buy one of those budget borescope cams that Aldi had on sale the other week, to investigate such messes. It was my own dramas around finding 3A 2 core flex providing all the back side connections to the roses in a house I help out at that prompted me to buy one, a 10mm hole is a lot less hassle to fill than multiple head sized ones.

Reply to
fred

Yes, but I'd also check that the earth is actually connected all the way back to the consumer unit.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Basically yes. For future reference, here is the classic wiring of a rose:

John Rumm

Thanks John, useful to have.

Reply to
SS