Life of Flexible Hoses

Do flexible hoses used for plumbing in washing machines and the like have a finite life and if so at what intervals do they require replacement?

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Not really. The washers may tend to creep under high loads, and begin to leak eventually. But if tightened properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Eventually they might go hard and brittle. Eventually.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

IME they last longer than a washing machine... and I buy a new set each time I move house. No problems ever. So at least 12 years life in them.

Reply to
PC Paul

Ours have outlasted the lives of several w/m's, except in one case where a hose was resting on the top lip, and chafed-away..... Tap left on, silent leak, all night. Floods for breakfast. :(

Reply to
Tony Williams

They outlasted my previous machine - and it did about 25 years, not bad for a cheap Indesit. Although no kids, so probably unrepresentative. Far more likely to leak at the connectors than the hose itself, so changing the washers might be worthwhile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They do. but even then, I've still never seen one leak or 'blow'. But replacing them at the same time as the washing machine seems prudent (espcially as they usually come with a new set of hoses anyway)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi,

If they are the old grey rubber ones, they will eventually perish and need replacement. The new red/blue ones are probably PVC with a polyester or nylon braid and should last almost indefinitely.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C