LED "smart" bulbs

A thread on here the other week was about LED smart bulbs.

GE seem to have recently announced one for $15 which sounds a lot more sane. Quite tempted if it turns out to be any good to get one...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Good grief, whatever next? Do you need a smart meter to run a smart bulb? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sorry I don't do goats, they keep eating the instructions. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Way to expensive. CFL will give better value for money. Anything much over a fiver for an LED lamp will make them more expensive overall compared for CFLs.

Er, Why?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For light, maybe. For pointless toy factor, no :-) Anyway, I hate CFLs.

Why not? It's a toy, and not that expensive. I've no real use in mind but would probably try to get it controlled by a pi or arduino.

I guess "because it's interesting" is the best reason I can think of. Are you my wife? ;-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

PointIess toy factor I can accept. I'm not keen on CFLs but LEDs aren't quite there yet, mainly on the £/W/Lm.

Once there are GLS sized LED lamps with 600+ Lm output for less power than a 600+ Lm output CFL, costing 20 kHrs life expectancy I may well start to switch over to them. ie I'll buy those for "stock" rather than CFLs.

Fairy Nuff.

No but I have one like that as well. She gives a rather dim impression of the few days I spent getting a Pi with it's camera module to automagically make time lapse movies. What I'd really like to do is use the Pi's hardware video stuff to do the MP4 generation, currently it's using a software coder and takes around 1 1/2 hours to produce a 1'55" long 960x540 (quarter frame "HD"). There are some drivers out there for the hardware and they take about 2 mins for the same resolution output, but the quality is crap. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Idea is that controllable lighting is only on when it`s needed.

Along with heating controls and the slightly spooky systems that learn your routine from where your phone is and what it`s doing , it should be able to cut total energy consumption, not just lower consumption of things running on standby and idle.

Wonder if they are aware enough yet to send spam, like some smart TVs ;-)

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that"

Reply to
newshound

You don't already have light switches? How strange. With lights on (or off!) all the time I can see that the introduction of a switch must come as a great relevation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mainly dimmers here actually ;-)

Perhaps networkable control be better phrase, sort of technology that took pulling an awful lot of CAT5 a few years ago is reducing to a few plug in wifi linked gadgets.

With lighting its anadvancement on putting PIR occupancy sensors in, with NFC and bluetooth on phones should detect your presence and preferred lighting state , radio station and coffee temperature as per time of day and people present...

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

On 30/06/2014 12:12, Adam Aglionby wrote: ...

In my case, that would mostly be on the bedside table, plugged into a charger or not in the house.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, but what if it learned that whenever you were more than X miles away, then headed back home you'd want the house up to temperature by the time you got there. Then when you took it up to bed and plugged it in, it should set the temperature back by Z degrees?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Similar here.

The house is *always* up to temperature, quickly learnt the hard way that you don't let it cool down. BTW summer is over, heating has be coming on since the 25th for the late afternoon boost. Saturday/Sunday it was calling for heat for 2h21m and 2h57m respectively.

My phone goes on charge about twice a week at random times.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Houses for courses, or something like that.

Haven't noticed mine doing so yet (haven't got the PC I've previously used for monitoring running at the moment).

But if it goes everywhere with you, it could detect being upstairs (onboard barometer) and still (onboard accelerometer) for more than a certain amount of time and imply you've gone to bed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As I haven't had working central heating for some years, it would need to know which pullover I wanted to be ready :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

It doesn't. No point at home it has to stay near a window or door on the side of the house facing the cell site or it's "no signal". Calls get diverted to the landline when at home.

Not sure how reliable that would be in a gale/storm. I've seen jumps in interior air pressure of several mB when the wind drops from F10 to F3 which it can do almost instantly when a front comes through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice