LED GU10 - equivalent wattage?

I've been thinking along the same lines.

As for the widespread complaints about CFLs not providing enough light, I think it's partly because the manufacturers have been misleading the public with the equivalences, so people replace a 100 W incandescent with a so-called "100 W equivalent" CFL, and then (rightly) complain that the room looks dimmer.

OTOH, I replaced a 100 W incandescent pendant fitting in our dining room with a nice one that (now) has three "60 W equivalent" CFLs: the room is *brighter*, it uses less electricity, & I hardly ever have to replace a lamp.

But I wish we had sensible fittings for bathrooms (for example) and decent bright long-life replacements for R63 reflectors (I'm stuck with a few of those fittings in the house, and the CFLs only go up to a lousy "60 W equivalent").

Reply to
Adam Funk

The only one I've had which came close to its claims was a GE Endura. Which cost a small fortune. And lasted little longer than a tungsten. Given it is designed as a spotlight, I was surprised to find it shortened the life dramatically if mounted pointing downwards. Perhaps it should be sold as an anti-aircraft search light. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the industry in general did itself a LOT of damage by quoting these misleading equivalences. If they'd been more honest and quoted 4 times (or even 3 times) the output people would then have been impressed how the new bulbs were brighter than the ones they replaced AND used less electricity.

As it is, the universal experience is that anything over 4 times is a lot of bollocks and as you point out, decent equivalents to incandescent 100W bulbs are hard to find.

Regarding GU10 LEDs, I replaced all our kitchen & dining room 25 & 50W bulbs with some LED ones. The first batch were faulty but they been replaced with bulbs that, touch wood, have been in daily use for over a year now with no failures.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

That would be the architech who did the specs.

I used to believe that there is only one thing worse than an apprentice and that was an architect.

However the real Devil is a female interior designer. And least the effeminate gay male interior designer cheers up and thinks you are his mate when you threaten to shove your screwdriver up their arse. The female one screams assault at such a threat.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Maybe you're supposed to install it under a convex mirror? It might work in a 70s revival decor.

Reply to
Adam Funk