Leatherjackets in lawn

Following my previous post about Magpies finding a portion of my front lawn irresistible, and receiving the suggestion of "leatherjackets" I looked them up, and looked at the lawn, and agree with the diagnosis.

So, what now ?

1) Do nothing, and assume the magpies are my ally ? 2) Do something ... i) Now ii) At a specific time of year in the future 3) Give it up as a lost cause ?

It's an oddity that out of 130 square metres of lawn, the magpies have visibly concentrated on an area of about 30 square metres on one lawn (I have 3 - 2 front, one back).

Is this "infestation" a symptom of an underlying issue like poor drainage, or just "one of those things" ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Try posting on uk.rec.gardening. There are many knowlegeable people who post there

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Done. Thanks !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Some info here...

ss

Thanks, already:

Other signs of leatherjackets in lawns will be birds pecking at the lawn to get at the grubs mainly starlings, though members of the crow family are also partial to a feast of leather jackets - crows and magpies in particular. The birds also do a good job of aerating the lawn, for their beaks can penetrate several inches. It does no damage to the lawn.

sounds quite good :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You needed Dursban. A long banned organophosphorous insecticide. Chlorpyrifos or some such.

I don't know if any of the over the counter pyrethrums would help. Cover and pick off looks time consuming. Pet Magpie?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Read here

or if they're chafer grubs, read here