leaking stainless steel sink outlet

please, what is the correct sealant to use for the (steel) 1.5in outlet to a standard kitchen stainless steel sink?

Mine developed a leak 2 months ago after years of no trouble. I refitted it sealing with Bosswhite & it now seeping again.

What is the correct sealant/method?

many thanks for any help.

Reply to
the yorkshire dalesman

Silicone rubber.

Disassemble Smear with silicone goo. Do up finger tight or even less. Wipe of excess carefully. Wait a day Do up tight.

The silicone will forme a perfectly matched rubbery gasket, which will be think enough to tighten down properly after curing. I learnt this trick from a plumber - he threw all the washers way, and simply used silicone on everything. None of his joints, or the ones I made using his technique, have leaked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I take it you're putting the sealant above the sink but below the fitting? In other words, sandwiched by the top of the sink and underside of the fitting? In which case, use hemp with the Bosswhite laid out in the form of a ring, or use silicone sealant if there's no washer provided. Or get a washer.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Another contradictory suggestion

I used something called "plumbers putty". It was on the shelf next to Boss White and Hemp. It is like a sticky version of plasticine. I rolled a "sausage" of the stuff (after several attempts), cleaned all surfaces as far as possible, checked the existing seals were not fractured or deteriorating, placed the sausage over the "parts" that were to meet, screwed it all back together (hope this makes sense), cleaned off excess with a modelling knife. Neat job, no leaks. Took 30 mins in total being careful.

Whatever material you use I think it needs to flexible so frame sealant is out.

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

Thats stuff IS good unless there is mechanical movement than can compress it ouit of the joint, and then flex back to open up a leak.

Thats the beauty of the silicone. It forms a perfect rubber gasket if used appropiately.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And ....

Eventually plumbers putty dries out and crumbles and leaks (that's what I experienced) - which is why I had to replace it in the first place ....

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK