leak from tap nut...

The tap which controls hot water to my washing machine has a slow leak (a drop a minute) from between the stem of the tap 'handle' and the nut round the shaft.

The tap is about thirty years old, it's brass and soldered directly to the copper tubeing.

I tentativley tightened the nut without any improvement.

What the best way to cure the problem? TIA

Reply to
michaelrmgreen

Take about one and a half inches of ptfe tape and roll length ways till it resembles a bit of string.

Undo the gland nut and slide it up the shaft and loosely wind the tape clockwise onto the shaft push the tape down and push down the nut and tighten (not too much) that should cure the problem.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Reply to