Lamona Oven Glass Shattered

I have written about the Lamona (Howden) inner door glass once before. It seems like the problem of the inner door glass shattering is greater than I originally thought, therefore I have decided to investigate the matter thoroughly.

The Reason

My research proves that the reason behind the shattered glass is a design flaw. It seems to me like the two fitting screws on each side of the glass put enormous pressure on the glass during cooking. During the cooking cycle heat of up 250C force the glass and screws to expand and then shrink back again to it's original size when the oven cools down. However glass and metal don't expand and shrink in the same way (this is down to the physic properties known as Thermal Expansion). The process creates huge forces (Mechanics: Stress) between glass and screws. Unfortunately glass is not as =93flexible=94 as metal screws, therefore when the stress reaches a critical point glass simply explodes in order to release accumulated energy.

Conditions

I have conducted a survey amongst customers who had their Lamona oven glass shatter, and here are some key facts:

  1. The average lifespan of the oven glass seems to be about 9-12 months

  1. It appears that there are more chances that your oven glass will explode if you tamper with the fixing, i.e. you unscrew the glass in order to clean it and then screw it back again.

Affected Models

Lamona appliances are made by numerous manufacturers therefore the same glass is not used in all Lamona ovens. Here=92s the list of affected models that we know of:

Lamona:

HJA3200, HJA3242, HJA3310, HJA4600, HJA3202, HJA3300, HJA3313, HJA4610, HJA3240, HJA3303, HJA3650

Beko:

8540MB, BE62SSX, BE66FCHX, BE68MSX, 8540MX, BE63FCHX, BE66FSW, BE92FVW, 9908MB, BE63FGHX, BE66FSX, BE92FVX, 9908MW, BE63FGHXP, BE66MSW, CIF207000MX, 9908MX, BE65FCHW, BE66MSX, CIG200000MB, AFO60X, BE65FGHW, BE66SSW, CIG200000MW, APG60X, BE65FGHW/1, BE66SSX, CIG201000MB, B61GHFX, BE65FGHX, BE68FSK, CIG201000MW, B61GHFXP, BE65FGHX/1, BE68FSW, CIG201000MX, BE61FSW, BE65FGHXP, BE68FSX, CIG202000MX, BE61FSX, BE65FSW, BE68MSK, CIG202001MX, BE62SSW, BE65FSX, BE68MSW, CIG203001MX

Where to buy?

You can get your Lamona Oven Glass from either

or parts-central.co.uk

Reply to
kris

Are you advertising the glass or warning against the oven?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

There's a significant problem with the oven design, and I took this matter personally as I am the unlucky owner of the oven myself. It seems like most of people have to replace oven glass sooner or later. In my professional life I am an engineer and there has been no day for the past months without broken Lamona oven glass.

On my blog I have mention the matter back few moths ago and it started a huge debate. It seems like the manufacturer doesn=92t seem to acknowledge the problem, as long as people will continue to buy replacement glass. Furthermore, Lamona is not a manufacturer but a =93mashup=94 of various brands including Beko, Belling, Whirlpool, etc. therefore there is no one to take the blame for the design.

As per advertising, I got the links from Google top results. People often ask me where they can get the glass from. I have no preference nor I am associated with either company in any form.

Reply to
kris

I'd have thought the industry would have this sort of thing sorted by now, maybe using some form of pliable material which is good for the temperatures. I can well remember my Mothers old Belling cooker glass always breaking back in the 70s. this had some kind of bonded metal fittings which I have no doubt were half the problem. Can't get the designers I guess.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Glass exploded on mine today , scared the hell out my daughter , is there a manufacturers warranty with the ovens

Reply to
Ellie

All Lamona appliances come with a 3-year manufacturer warranty as standard.

Reply to
GB

If there is I dare say the original one has expired after nine years.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, well, the old oven door disintegration seems to have always been common, since I can remember this sort of thing when I was a lad. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Same has just happened to me an hour ago!

Reply to
Amanda

9 years and one hour.
Reply to
Sysadmin

Yes it must be the aliens have finally returned after a long trip. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa