Kitchen sink(s) and lack of overflow hole in bowl(s) - also drainage of bowls query

I recently acquired on eBay a 2 yrs old kitchen that will fit almost perfectly into a property I am renovating for rental.

The sink is a dual bowl 'granite effect ' like this

the sink has no holes for overflows in either bowls ( no position partially drilled either ) and I'm a bit concerned that careless tenants could leave taps running whilst distracted elsewhere causing a flood in the kitchen and resultant damage to kitchen units/flooring etc.

What solution would best suit the 'granite effect' sinks - should I drill and fit a chrome overflow to each ( chrome would look a bit out of keeping with the granite ) or are other options available and where from.

The basket strainers for each bowl were not included so I will be buying new ones of those anyway.

ALSO - as an aside:

The property previously had a single bowl sink unit with one waste pipe to the outside.

Do I need to provide two pipes to the outside or can the waste from each bowl be combined into one waste pipe on the inside.

If on one pipe would there be a rise of waste water in the second bowl if the 'plug' was removed from the first to drain that bowl.

Thanks in advance - Colin

Reply to
JDT2Q

In message , JDT2Q writes

The idea is that each bowl acts as an over flow for the other - not a flawless idea IMO

The question is one of whether you can find pipework to include an overflow

Reply to
geoff

This is becoming more & more common to have double bowl sinks without an overflow as we know it. I agree with geoff, not a flawless idea.

One solution is to use tubes instead of plugs - they do this in commercial kitchens - not sure about sizes - you might have to shop around.

Two sinks discharging into the same waste pipe isn't a problem, can be an embuggerance to fit though. Might need to lower the point where the waste goes out through the wall to allow for the deeper bowl etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depends how big your sink is. When I've washed up in large-scale kitchens the tube over in the corner of the sink is irrelevant and out of the way, but if I were to have one in my own kitchen sink it would seriously hamper washing-up operations.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Good point Pete, hadn't thought of that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman