Just seen another horror story

Page 4 of 4

Dangerous places schools. My old mum ,'gawd rest her soul, was a devout catholic and I was duly sent to a catholic school whose ethos was,
"know thy humble place in the scheme of things, and that's somewhere near the bottom of the heap"
Poxy place, no way on this planet would I inflict such a brainwashing establishment on my children.
Don't blame my mum 'tho she was bought up in Ireland to this doctrine and knew no different....
--
Tony Sayer

"Andrew McKay" wrote | I failed the 11 plus, and duly went to a secondary modern. I came out | with 4 O levels. | When I was at primary school one of my classmates was very | intelligent, always at the top of the class. He went on to grammar | school. | I met him the year after we left. He came out of grammar school with 2 | O levels. And yet he was far more intelligent than me in every | respect.
I got 2 As, 4Bs and a C at O level and a CSE grade one, and it taught me absolutely nothing of any use. Went to university and dropped out after one year. What paid my wages was being able to use a word processor and that I learned at FE college.
Owain

Hi Mike, didn't see the prog unfortunately but I'd like to try and reassure you a little if I can... We do a lot of new build work (as sparkies) for a lot of different builders. The majority of houses are well built and I'd be quite happy to buy one (if I could afford one!). Our company tries to resolve any snagging issues within 48 hours if possible (1st contact within 24hrs) and certainly within 1 week. The plumbers, tilers, plasterers etc. all try to work to similar timescales - in fact we all have dedicated departments these days. Obviously smaller companies will struggle to give this kind of service but that's the downside of employing 1 man and his apprentice outfits. Regards, Richard
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:24:25 +0100, "Frisket"

Thanks for that! Whereabouts do you do new build work? Just the county(ies) would do. I won't tell 'em you sent me!
MM

for oop north at least)
Richard

AIUI this is the norm for the NHBC 10 yr cover - builder repairs for first 2 years and NHBC thereafter. This is why it's important to get all the faults fixed in the first 2 years - thereafter you're claiming against an insurance policy and we all know what ins cos are like for avoiding a pay-out.
As it happens, if a fault doesn't show up until after the 2 years have expired you should still approach the builder first because it will probably be deemed a latent fault which is, once again, the builder's responsibility again. How likely you are to get actually get it fixed probably depends on whether the builder is still on site...
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:50:32 +0100, Mike Mitchell
I'm just reading up on new build and found this review (don't read it in front of the children - they may never have seen grownups cry):
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Wilson_Connolly_Homes__Review_5338355
I am astounded to learn (elsewhere) that the Sale of Goods Act does not apply to houses! Apparently there was some Act of Parliament or something which excluded houses.
I have seen adverse comments about other well-known builders, too.
A sense of despair is creeping in...
Any room on the ferry to Hamburg...?
MM

The main problem was the plumbing, and I'm sure they used plastic pipe and obviously unqualified people to do it. Easy isn't! Just push it in!

No surprise there, then. Once again, consumer law fails to apply where it actually matters...

It's only as much of a lottery as buying any other house is, but expecting it to be less of a lottery is being over-confident.
--
SAm.

Mike Mitchell wrote:

From that site:
"I got an electric shock because the circuits were incorrectly labelled on the circuit-breaker board, causing me to turn off the wrong circuit while I attempted to dry out the switches in the kitchen."
I wonder that if that shock had been fatal (guess he was saved by the RCD) if a case of corporate manslaughter would ahve been brought against WilCon?
What made me chuckle is that the author has his own website http://www.wilcon-homes.com/ which would appear to be an illegal use of a registered name (they probably still have their old trading name registered). I guess that the company hasn't stumbled upon it yet but I bet it gets plenty of hits from people looking for Wilson Connolly Homes (their site is www.wilcon.co.uk) :-)

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:03:04 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

But this is just the tip of an iceberg. In my perusal of the web on this issue I have found adverse comments galore relating to other building companies. I have yet to receive ANY positive recommendation! Someone in another thread mentioned that Bryant are the best, then offered some qualification of that.
Can anyone recommend - Morris Homes Ashwood Homes Chestnut Homes David Wilson Homes
?
MM
Mike Mitchell wrote:

Yes.

I'd recommend my builder (Stuart Milne Homes), but that's probably of little use to you. I found them to be very good at putting problems right.
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:40:06 +0100, "L Reid"

I just found them on the web - they're actually called Stewart (!) Milne. I'm just perusing the site now. Thanks.
MM
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:50:32 +0100, Mike Mitchell
Yet another shocking link for anyone interested:
http://www.wronglybuilthouses.co.uk /
MM (Tell me if I'm beginning to bore anyone. Health warning: I am the most pedantic, nitpicky person in Britain. Not even that One Foot in the Grave fellah comes close...!)
MM