Is SDS all right for 25mm hole in brick?

I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a

22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am not sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

Reply to
Anode

It will be fine - if break-out is a problem [cosmetically] go through with a smaller bit first, then back (from the visible side) with the 25mm.

Reply to
AlanD

SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and make less mess.

The only real alternative is a small diameter core drill. ISTR Toolstation do them (I got one elsewhere, some time ago, and still haven't needed to use it yet!) and you could probably drive it from a standard decent mains power drill - regular or SDS (with hammer switched off) and the appropriate arbor.

Remember to protect your copper pipe from direct contact with the brickwork & mortar. I usually core drill a larger size than 25mm and use some 32mm waste to sleeve it (or appropriate size thick yellow polythene pipe left over from gas installation in road if I'm installing a pipe for gas). With a 25mm hole you'll have to use either 28mm copper or plastic pipe (with the hole wiggled with the SDS bit to make it oversize) or wrap with plenty of PVC tape or suchlike.

Reply to
YAPH

Very satisfactory. Safe, well that depends on what you hit in the wall or the other side. B-)

Only if you go the last inch or so flat out. Take it easy for the last bit and you shouldn't get any or only minimal spalling not the great saucer you see where the Sky Cowboys have blasted through with their 8mm drill. If you know the thickness of the wall wrap a bit of tape around the drill at that deepth so you can see how far you have left to go.

Might be worth taking a pilot hole through first but an SDS will drill 25mm in one hit, don't forget to keep pulling the bit back to clear the dust.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thank you for the reassurance, it gives me confidence to have a go.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

Or if there's access, drill the pilot and then drill the "last inch" or so of the hole from the other side.

Reply to
Jules

Many thanks for your response; it has inclined me to think about using a core drill (never used one in brick before so it should be interesting), and to make a larger hole than 25mm which will make the sleeving you mention an easier job.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

Thanks for sharing your experience. I shall have to decide whether to go SDS or Core drill. And I am now thinking that a hole larger than 25mm will make the job of sleeving an easier proposition. But it is comforting to know that SDS would be all right.

Many thanks,

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

Thanks for the suggestion. However in this case I have access to one side only.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

"Anode" wibbled on Saturday 26 September 2009 01:03

Use a TCT core cutter. Use hammer until you are within the last 2cm (go by measurement) then turn hammer off and go slow. The last 2cm will take some time but you should come out with minimal damage.

Reply to
Tim W

I use the 25mm through into the second leaf, then a smaller drill, e.g.

10mm right through (saves using a small bit for a long hole) then 25mm from t'other side.
Reply to
PeterC

A good technique to bear in mind, thanks for that. In this case I have access to one side only though.

Regards

Anode

Reply to
Anode

Thanks for your help Tim. I shall probably do the job in the way you describe, so I get a hole big enough to be able to use some adequate sleeving.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode