Internet Enabled Thermostats

I have Heatmiser Smartstat. It is for controlling heating rather than AC. It might do the latter with am appropriate relay.

It uses Wifi and must communicate with some Heatmiser base station.

It is designed to work with a mobile phone app. I have the Android version. I can run the app on a 64 bit PC using Google Arc Welder.

The Smartstat fits over/in a UK metal electrical wall box as you might use for a single 13 amp socket. I use a cable attached sensor

Reply to
Michael Chare

yes, but my system lives ON - governed by a timer and a programmable thermostat.

Reply to
charles

Exactly ... I guess the difference is between how you'd hook a "nest" type controller to a more intelligent boiler with inbuilt timer, weather compensation, pump overrun, versus older boilers with simple 240V on/off, and separate wiring centre to pump, and 2 or 3 port valves, the boiler is on/off, the pump is on/off, the programmable stat controls them both.

Reply to
Andy Burns

my system has five programmable stats and is never off. why would you ever need to turn it off if the stats work?

They just sit there and set the room temp depending on the time of day and only change if you set away on them.

They are intelligent enough to work out how long it takes to change the temp in the room so they don't need to care what the outside temp is.

Reply to
dennis

Weather compensation on the average house that doesn't have 100% insulation is actually worth while. Assuming your system can make use of it, of course. Not sure it would be cost effective to change just for it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not convinced it ever cost effective. You don't care what temp it is outside. If you have intelligent stats where it matters they can always start the heating at the right time to reach the required temp and would seldom get it wrong unless the weather suddenly changed which would trick the weather compensating one too. AFAICS weather compensation is just another attempt to make single stat systems work better rather than zone and stat them properly.

Reply to
dennis

If you get a sudden change in outside temperature, the system can react - and not wait for it to effect the inside, and then take ages to compensate. It's not an expensive addition to a suitable microprocessor controlled boiler - although can be tricky to set up properly. But as I said may not be necessary everywhere. Although money far better spent than on some silly internet control. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)