"Interesting" neon indication.

Page 2 of 2

Never seen one of the old (1970s?) daytime TV safety films...?
I still recall the EHT safety acronym; SIDE
Switch off Isolate Dump Earth
Jon Read wrote:

A neon will glow with very small amounts of current.
You can wave one near any radio source and its quite likley to light up.
I suspect you simply were seeing capacitive pickup from somewhere - maybe other mains, maybe local transmitters.

Do you have any dimmers - that'll do it
Hello Jon
Sorry for late reply, behind again.

Might be an obvious question - but does the screwdriver have an internal battery? (Usually a button type inside the transparent handle).
If so, it's one of those annoying and potentially dangerous "all in one" things that do continuity as well as testing for mains.
I don't recommend 'em for just this problem of false positives.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
I have seen this on lighting circuits which include a florescent fitting.

More a voltage, really. The current required to light a neon is so small in domestic terms as to be insignificant. That's why they're near useless.
--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?