Installing a Wood Burner

I am looking to install a wood burner in the fireplace once housing

gas fire/back boiler. Its a 1960's house. There looks to be corrugated liner currently up the chimney. What kind of space do I need around the burner? (The burner will b free standing and pushed back into the existing brick fire surround) Any hints/words of encouragement you could give to help me throug these daunting times of DIY fire installation?!

Thank

-- manictobes

Reply to
manictobes

I think you may get away without much at all, especially if the BCO doesn't get involved..he might decide you need a new and very expensive liner.

The hearth regulations are pretty sane, you need something fireproof all around and for a short distance in front.

A lot depends on the size of the fireplace.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am going to disagree with TNP and say it's quite possible that the chimney was never intended for solid fuel use and is completely unsuitable for this.

I think the corrugated liner has to come out.

I would suggest getting a Chimney Sweep in to look at the chimbley.

If the piping from the former back boiler still exists it might be worth getting a wood burner that can do hot water too and pipe it into your heating system using a Dunsley Neutraliser (?).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Indubitably

More will than might, also chances are it's a 5" flexible flue for gas only. Min spec for wood is 6" and twin wall if building regs are adhered to.

Many wood burners will be dumping flue gas at quite high temperatures so the liner will take be taking some abuse. Worse, some woodburners will have a low flue temperature and tars will condense out in the liner and when they burn....

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Unless of a lowish output and purely for smokeless fuel then 5" is allowed. But yes you must have twin wall designed for solid fuels or it will be wrecked in no time, then whole lot 'll need to be redone!

Reply to
visionset

I don't think wood is considered a smokeless fuel, though it can be burned smokelessly in a certified burner.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Woodburner is often used as a generic term for stove.

Reply to
visionset

More will than might, also chances are it's a 5" flexible flue for gas

only. Min spec for wood is 6" and twin wall if building regs are adhered to.

Unless of a lowish output and purely for smokeless fuel then 5" i allowed. But yes you must have twin wall designed for solid fuels or it will b

wrecked in no time, then whole lot 'll need to be redone!

Reply to
manictobes

In flexible ss twin wall it's about GBP30/m plus all the fixings.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I fitted a solid fuel Bont ESSE 12kWatt (water jacket) stove 23 years ago and that had a five inch flue outlet. Unfortunately. the Clay liner it went into was eliptical with a 12 " major axis measurement. This meant that the smoke suddenly slowed down when it left the 5" pipe and entered the 12" liner. I SHOULD have fitted a new 5" to 6" liner right up to the top but at that time I was a novice and so were most of the local builders in the area.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

No that is fine it is just the flue liner that is affected by the regs. You just use an increaser to attach a 6" flue liner to a 5" stove pipe

Cheapest prices I've seen are hotline-chimneys

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

I've not been convinced of the significance of this as long as the flue is well sealed and the fire is burning cleanly but am open to suggestions otherwise. I can see a big problem with an undersized flue.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

IMO (as an owner of a woodburner) one of the most important things is to make provision for easy access to the chimney, for sweeping with minimum mess in the room. I suspect the second could be a *hot* chimney, to keep up a good airflow with minimum condensation of tars on the walls of the chimney.

Reply to
Tony Williams

The two are to an extent contradictory. An insulated flue will tend to not soot up

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ours is an insulated external flue, one of those shiny things. I sweep it every year and always get more than half a bucket of soot or carbon lumps from it (the damned thing has a bend in it). I suspect that this is because we run the stove for long periods just ticking over, and the definition of a *hot* chimney might then become moot.

Reply to
Tony Williams